Identification and upgrade options of new (to me) spa

Jesseandsandy09

Oct 1, 2022
East tennessee
Hello all, sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, I didn’t really know where to post. I recently purchased a used 2 seater spa off Facebook marketplace to replace our inflatable spa from last year. I have no idea what kind of hot tub this is and was hoping someone could help me identify it. I will try to attach some photos, but all i know is that it has no heating element, it is two seater with 8 jets, original keypad says dream maker, and the pump says leisure bay. The controller was replaced by previous owner with a gecko in-yj-2 all I can find out is that this spa uses friction? To heat. My question is after we can identify the model is it possible to upgrade in some way to be more efficient and would it be worth the cost and effort? This thing seems to work okay as is but I’m unsure of energy consumption. Thanks in advance for any help!DC468D91-CFC1-4C9C-9F6E-2D89C2BB7F62.jpeg4AAAF5EC-6008-4982-965B-86EFE410AA50.jpegC73D85CD-B0BA-4601-9EEA-1E6EB4962325.jpeg96CF70BF-296A-4EF6-8104-EC5CC0CBC63C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
It is most likely a Dreammaker tub. The Gecko IN-YJ-2 control box cannot be retrofitted for an external heater. It is strictly a heat recovery system.
If you want to wire in an external heater, I would recommend replacing the Gecko box with a Balboa VS501 or a BP7. Both of those setups come with an external heater.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Its a 110v spa- so it won’t operate the jets & increase heat at the same time persay.
However, you being in east tn it’s likely not an issue.
I have a 110v w/ friction & have no issues with mine reaching 104 degrees & maintaining although mine looks to be more well insulated than yours (roto molded with spray foam much like a cooler)
You may want to insulate it well/better so it retains heat more. Doing so would likely net you more energy savings than going 220v & adding an extra heater& all the expense that comes with that.
@RDspaguy can probably give you pointers on the best way to accomplish this.
My utility bill increase was barely noticeable with the addition of my 250 gal spa (maybe $10/mo).
Being that we’re not in a location that experiences long sub zero winters like the frozen north my experience is that even in the coldest ambient temps by the time the tub temp falls to around 100 I am ready to get out anyway as it has been an hour or so. The tub is back to temp by my next soak. I often use it twice a day morning/night.
Last year during the snowpocalypse I used mine every day even when it was 0- 5 degrees outside. During milder ambient temps the water temp won’t drop as fast.
It hasn’t been mentioned yet but, make sure you purge this tub before using it. The recommended purge product here is Ahhsome - it blows all the others out of the water. It’s available on tftestkits.net & amazon.
It may require multiple purges before it comes out clean (you can use the same water).
That filter is 🤢 definitely get a replacement. Spa depot has a few ways to search for replacements if you’re unsure of what you need
Also be sure you have a proper test kit - Taylor k2006 or tf100 , also available at both those places. Test Kits Compared
Here’s the hot tub guide 👇
This guide & its bromine cousin are also pinned to the top of this subforum for convenience 😊
I know this is more info than you asked for but I really want you to have all the info so you can start off on the right foot with your “new to you” oasis!
Happy hot tubbing 🫧

We moved into a house with a old Coleman/Maxx spa and the heater relay had a short on the board. I ended up replacing the control pack since the cost was just a bit more. I went with a Gecko IN.YE-5 after researching that and the Balboa setups. I called tech support prior for both company's and hands down I give Gecko 10/10 for tech support fast response and friendly. Literally took me an hour and I was up and running. In your case however if nothing is broke and its working like it should I wouldnt mess with it.

Attachments

• 20220914_184507.jpg
    20220914_184507.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220915_123700.jpg
    20220915_123700.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220915_151202.jpg
    20220915_151202.jpg
    574.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220915_192800.jpg
    20220915_192800.jpg
    647.7 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Mdragger88
Well, my opinion of "friction" heaters is widely known. They are a gimick. Your pump running produces heat, but if some baffles in a pipe produce heat it does so at the expense of flow. And flow restrictions cause a pump to run hot, so more heat to transfer. Stick a milk bottle cap in the pump intake for similar inefficiency results. Be sure to tell yourself you're saving money every time you replace the pump.
You could put in a pack with a heater, but you'll have some plumbing to do, and you'll need a two-speed pump as well. If you think you're up to it, then go for it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.