Milwaukee, WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hey guys, back from off-season! Well, almost. Maybe? It’s unseasonably cool this spring. I have a heater but not sure if anyone will swim when the weather is sub-60. :/ I guess I can open tomorrow. No harm.

4862BC79-8A33-4E2E-B0C8-1DF5A52474F8.jpeg

Welcome back !!!!

*skootches over on the couch*

I kept your seat warm for you. Plus, @kimkats is a firm believer in 'shuffle your feet, lose your seat'. So you always gotta watch her as she is sneaky. (y)

Welcome home!! SO glad to see you! Yeah I can't see swimming or even putting my toes in the burrrrrrrrrr water!!! Now saying that there are plenty of pools that are open and warm so get you algae fighting gloves on!

Ok, so. First things first.

500DC9BC-644E-4C12-A876-0B26DE7B488F.jpeg

Cover off with some help:

2F08204C-0174-4C59-94C0-8C12BD2D9F4F.jpeg

EB8B6505-F184-43BD-8401-FCFE93E8C1EC.jpeg

4B94365A-ADF8-44D1-9123-A12AEB515707.jpeg

Time to work. Got the plugs out of the pool. The two returns were pretty easy with a channel lock, as usual. The deeper suction port is tougher, since I have to get my whole arm to my shoulder down to get it. And the water is a nice refreshing 47°. >.>

Dropped the channel lock. >.< Had to fish it out with the leaf rake. Got it out, and got the channel lock to take out the plug.

The plug in the skimmer is always the worst. I couldn’t get it with my hand, even with a glove on. The channel lock was too big to get down in and grip it. Luckily I found a smaller channel lock and was able to loosen it so I could turn it with my hand. :)

Next equipment. Put in the plugs in the heater, plugs in the pump, plug in the filter. Got it to prime first shot, now that I know I have to wait a good 5 minutes for the pump to work. Heater got turned on, got that started too so the water can be warmed up. I need it warmer for the CYA to dissolve later and I want to be sure it’s not too cold for the robot.

Notably I didn’t clean the filter out with a deep clean. I can do that later in the year.

WaterGuru has batteries put in and a new cartridge. Put into the skimmer. Now it’s time to vacuum….

Reactions: Mdragger88
Dropped the channel lock. >
Because I've dropped any tool I've ever used a dozen times each, any sharp edge / end / tip of anything used gets a healthy wrap with duct or electric tape to ease the hit on the bottom. I have used both for the return caps depending on what's closest at the time. 20220501_144228.jpg

Reactions: Pv2 and IceShadow
So I started vacuuming and decided I have a robot for a reason. But first a check on the chem levels.

71AD855A-9F6B-4AE8-ADBF-4CE9CD6C38AB.png

Yiiiiikes. Low pH. Need to start with that.

Reactions: Newdude
Ok, got that going. Now adding a few pounds of cya and two old gallons of 12.5% liquid shock. Then we’ll get the robot going. I’ll test the water after a bit to see if the FC is any good, since they’ve been in my garage all winter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ugh. Pump keeps stopping and throwing a 0002 error. I spin the impeller with an Allen wrench and it can start again. I’m wondering if the pine needles are clogging the impeller.

Skimmer socks just saying.................Amazon hair nets work great at stopping those pesty needles and leaves.

LOL on letting the robot do the work for you!
The problem now is that I had to replace my basket and the new one has a handle-thing across it. Not sure how to put the sock in :(

If its the one with a bar across it, squeeze gently on the 2 sides with no bar to make an oval and the bar will fall out. Put the sock on and reinstall the bar. It may poke a small hole in the sock, but so what ? 99.5 % skimmer sock is way better than no skimmer sock.

Because I've dropped any tool I've ever used a dozen times each, any sharp edge / end / tip of anything used gets a healthy wrap with duct or electric tape to ease the hit on the bottom. I have used both for the return caps depending on what's closest at the time.
When I worked in nuclear power, all our tools used over water were tethered. Some things could not be retrieved. Some things could cause Serious damage. Like screws.

Posted a new thread here about opening my pump and what I might want to do while I'm in there. Hoping to do it tonight, time permitting.

Chem levels holding well. CSI is pretty low due to the low CH, TA, and water temp. May need to add some calcium due to having a heater.

Reactions: kimkats
Added 8 lbs of calcium chloride. Should bring me close to 200ppm of CH.

I also decided poor Wall-E just wasn’t doing enough to clean the whole pool on his own. He’d gotten a few baskets full of muck out but wasn’t picking up everything along the bottom - mostly pine needles he couldn’t get. Sorry buddy but this just isn’t clean.

114E733B-CA9E-4A7C-B3ED-E0E46CD5D5D2.jpeg

So, I broke out the old brush and vacuum and finished up after him.

4C77AD84-C4BC-4AF2-8A8D-11C8FF1DFFC2.jpeg

Still a lot of crud in the light so I’m gonna keep the pump going full tilt for a while more. If it isn’t better tomorrow night I’ll start adding DE.

253644B2-ED3D-4A92-8BB7-0D107FC1829C.jpeg

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.