IC40 reading low salt, not generating.

gmac

May 14, 2016
Friendswood, TX
I Have an IC40 that has a low salt reading of 2500, but salt level is actually 3600, and it does not seem to be producing chlorine. When I hold down the "more" button for 3 seconds the "Cell" and "cold water - system off" lights come on (cell=green, cold water=red) both solid, then the cold water flashes red.

Does the flashing red cold water light mean my temp sensor is bad?

Also the calibration process does not let me cycle through the salt levels, perhaps because it's to old/new of a version. The sticker on the bottom of the unit says Rev 3050.

What is your water temp? Mine shuts off at 54 degrees. I've also noticed that mine consistently gives me a lower salt reading when the water temps are in the 50's.

SWGs don't work in cold water. You'll have to step in and use liquid chlorine during the cold months. The good news is that the chlorine lasts so much longer in cold weather/cold water. Like weeks.

Once the weather warms up your water you can turn it back on again.

Maddie :flower:

G,

The IntelliChlor is known for having problems with the cell reporting low salt when the water temps gets below 60 degrees. The cold water shut off light comes on at about 52 degrees. When the difference between the actual salt level and the salt level reported by the cell exceeds 1000 ppm, I would recommend replacing the flow switch assembly.. This assembly contains a 10K thermistor which is the temperature input to the circuit that determines the salt level.. It goes bad quite often. It is an easy DIY fix. If your water temp is less than 60 degrees I would wait until the water warms up before doing anything.

How old is your cell? I don't believe that any cell built in the past 10 years has had the ability to be "calibrated"...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks guys. That makes sense it would be water temp, although I don't have a water temp sensor installed (story for another day!), I'm sure it's pretty low. Good idea on the flow switch assembly, I'll wait till it warms up a bit and check it out again.

My CYA was low (40), so I'm sure that wasn't helping with chlorine levels either.

Also, is Youtube the only way to post a video? I have a quicktime video of the test I did on the cell but I can't attach it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.