Ferndale, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Ok, I've been adding CYA slowly as to not add too much. I have a SWG, so I got it up to 80 and stopped. I tested it today, as it's been a few days since the last CYA add, just to be sure it didn't go higher, and now I'm getting a 60 reading. Seriously?? I hate this test, it's so subjective. now what? Leave it at 60? it's somewhere between 60-80 lol. but I see 60 "isn't recommended" for SWG.

Don't know if this will help, but here's the way I look at my CYA tests. With the sun to my back, I fill to something lower than where my CYA should be at and glance down. The dot is usually a tiny dot. I use 1/2 graduation additions into the cylinder and repeat. WHEN I still see the dot (which I usually do always), BUT it is TWICE the size, I know I am there (rounding up if in between). Hope this might help a bit :D. Good Luck!!!

I totally agree that is a tough test to read!! I know my level is around 70 and I can see the dot all the to 30ppm crazy. I usually take it to the pool store that has Computer system disk that test water to find mine out.

I usually take it to the pool store that has Computer system disk that test water to find mine out.

Ack!! Better off using a dart board with numbers for CYA on it.

When you do the CYA test, try this next time.

Once you have your solution ready, back to the sun, etc. Fill the vial to a line, say 80, lower the vial to your waist level and glance for the dot, you see it, add solution to the 70 line, glance, see it, repeat until you no longer see it with a glance.

The vial is in logarithmic scale. So it is not viable to interpolate between the lines. Just use the whole numbers, such as 50, 40, 30, ....

Agree its one of the harder test to read! I have found that its best to wait a week after adding CYA and then test, wait a week and repeat. Maybe some pools take longer than others to register properly but Im just guessing on that. I don't let it drive me crazy anymore as I look to see if my FC loss is lower and if thats the case goal achieved...

Ack!! Better off using a dart board with numbers for CYA on it.

When you do the CYA test, try this next time.

Once you have your solution ready, back to the sun, etc. Fill the vial to a line, say 80, lower the vial to your waist level and glance for the dot, you see it, add solution to the 70 line, glance, see it, repeat until you no longer see it with a glance.

The vial is in logarithmic scale. So it is not viable to interpolate between the lines. Just use the whole numbers, such as 50, 40, 30, ....

Oh Interesting, I add water and watch the dot....

Yes! a very challenging test for sure...I've gotten the hang of it.. I glance...a quick glance...with the sun at my back and the tube at waist level..and it works all the time. I must look a bit crazy doing this outside as I have very close neighbors...I actually say out loud "glance" when I'm doing the test... strange I know. Oh well. It is what it is. LOL.

TOTALLY agree with ctrav !!! My FC loss is how backup my CYA readings accuracy. When my CYA is in it's "sweet spot", I go through roughly 1.5 to 3 ppm FC daily for my conditions (and it fits into the FC/CYA chart range).

You can decide for yourself if 60 provides enough protection for the chlorine to last throughout the day. Monitor how long the SWG runs and test at the end of the day to figure out how much was used.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Fill the vial to a line, say 80, lower the vial to your waist level and glance for the dot, you see it, add solution to the 70 line, glance, see it, repeat until you no longer see it with a glance.

I have found this to be the best method as well.

Also very important, that if the water is still cold, you want it to warm up to 70F degrees before testing.

I had an inaccurate reading that was WAY off when I tested the water at 60F (barely showing anything)
then after warming the same sample to room temp, it registered a solid 30 cya.

I usually take it to the pool store that has Computer system disk that test water to find mine out.
Yikes, those things are almost never calibrated and seem to be awful with CYA testing even when they are. As difficult as the Taylor CYA test is to read, I would trust a brand new person having a lot of trouble getting it right over a pool store using a digital tester. At least I can trust the new person to get it in the ballpark.

Are the test strips accurate? We are doing our first slam and started when the test strip read it at 40 the day after adding CYA. Today the test strip is reading 50/60 ish and the kit maybe is reading 30?? Otherwise the CYA has not seemed to register when we have tried it. Our kit was delivered last week on a 94 degree day after riding in the UPS truck throughout our town. I'm just wondering if we can trust the chemicals since we are getting such different readings? FC was down to 9 with the kit and we added bleach.

Test strips are not accurate. Please do not use them. Drop based tests are the only accurate residential testing method.

Your K2006C is fine. A single day at warm temperatures will not effect the reagents. An entire summer, now that is another matter.

Take care.

Everyone hates this test, except me! LOL, I kind of like it. I do it outside on a sunny day, back to the sun. Pour solution to first line, glance, pour to next line, glance. CYA is the number where a QUICK glance doesn’t show the dot.

Sometimes for kicks, I’ll pour solution back in the bottle and retest in various lighting conditions, just to see what results I get. But by far the best results come from method described above.

I hate the CYA test too. I accidentally added too much liquid stabilizer to my pool even though I added the correct amount according to the pool calculator because I must have misinterpreted the test. I tested it twice to make sure I had the right reading. I even took a sample of my water to a pool store that uses a Taylor kit and they said I had the same level that I got when I tested it. Luckily my CYA is probably only 80 which isn't dangerously high since I have a SWG but it is higher than I wanted since I like to use chlorine pucks when I go on vacation. I wish there was a more accurate way to test CYA because that test is too inaccurate for the occasional user. Most people don't have to check their CYA very often so it is hard to become very adept in doing it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.