I did my first o-ring change on my valves... and... i need help.

lordmundi

Apr 25, 2021
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
A couple of pictures below of my valves. I have one that I think selects between the pool and the spa as the intake... and then I *think* on the pool side, there is another valve that selects how much comes from each skimmer. Or something like that... I'm new to all this.

Anyhow, I have a leak. Somewhere on the suction side and I have air getting in. I did a test with a hose and I could definitely tell a difference when running water over the first valve. So I opened it up and changed the outer o-ring and the two o-rings on the shaft. I had watched some videos and put a little bit of pool lube on them then got things screwed back in. Still had a leak. So, I went to the next valve that selects between the skimmers (that one doesn't have a motor/actuator on it) and changed that o-ring set. Still have an air leak.

But there was something interesting that happened. When I changed out the o-rings on the shaft of the second valve, I noticed that the two rubber o-rings weren't right next to each other - there was this little plastic spacer between them that was about the same shape as them but it was hard (I'm assuming plastic). I didn't see anything like that on the first valve.

And now I can tell it is the first valve that is definitely still leaking. I can hear it sucking air in and when I put the hose on it I can hear it slurping in water/air. I think it is coming around the shaft and not the outside seal. So now I'm starting to wonder... is there supposed to be some little plastic spacer between the 2 shaft o-rings for these valves that I am missing? Or do I just need to add a third o-ring maybe?

Any suggestions or advice on how to deal with leaks around the shaft and changing the o-rings would be greatly appreciated! Pictures of my valves below:

PXL_20210530_125730373.jpg PXL_20210705_230422174.jpg

I do not. I have never had to take mine apart. Try to find a detailed parts blow up of the valves.

Other option is to call Inyopools and ask them. They have some knowledgable folks there.

I do not. I have never had to take mine apart. Try to find a detailed parts blow up of the valves.

Other option is to call Inyopools and ask them. They have some knowledgable folks there.
ahh... i think that did it! I decided to look up Inyopools and look on their website because I've never heard of them. I found this page for the compool diverter valves and sure enough... there is a spacer between the o-rings! #9 on the drawing! Compool / Pentair Diverter Valve – 1-1/2" & 2" Parts - INYOPools.com

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.