I can't figure out what is wrong, and the pool people haven't been helpful at all :(

But I can backwash and still have the weird slowing down 1-2hrs later.
Most always indicative of the filter capturing debris (algae) and slowing the flow. Does your psi go up when the flow slows?

Pump running, do you have air in the pump basket after you backwash?

Most always indicative of the filter capturing debris (algae) and slowing the flow. Does your psi go up when the flow slows?

Pump running, do you have air in the pump basket after you backwash?

Right now, things seem to be running good - PSI is at 4, RPMS are at 1900. Yes, I think when things slow down my PSI jumps to around 8.
Priming PSI is about 18 which I think is the true PSI you are supposed to look at on a variable speed. That never seems to change. Always 18.
Last summer, unless priming my psi always showed 0.
New pressure gauge.

A few weeks ago, I had air in the basket no matter what, you could visibly see bubbles coming in the basket and the water level in the pump would drop to 1/2 within 30 minutes, as well as bubbles in the jets, even at really high RPMs (2500+), there would be bubbles coming in the basket but at that speed the water level wouldn't drop so dramatically. There would be air while back washing and immediately after. As mentioned... I never fixed this... it went away after an enormous amount of rain and the new problem of everything slowing down started.
I haven't saw bubbles in the basket for a few days, and only see bubbles from the jets if I drop the rpms super low, like 900. Which, I actually read can be normal for variable speed pumps, too :hammer:
There is absolutely no bubble in my basket today at all, it looks crystal clear.

I think you should go ahead and do a slam and see if that takes care of the reduced flow from the returns. Your sand filter may also need a deep cleaning Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter If the air suction problem comes back we can tackle that at that time.

I can try that however the only method I have right now is using bags of cal hypo. There is not a single container of chlorine, anywhere, I call nearly daily around town. :(
I currently have 12 1lb bags. Not sure how to use them either!

If your calcium is really 25ppm then you could use cal-hypo. Have you tried ordering bleach online?

I have not! I didn't even know that you could. Where is that possible from? Everywhere I've looked just says "pick up in store" or "delivery unavailable for this product"

Have you called your local pool supply stores?

We have three "pool stores" here. It is a small town. One is dedicated to chemicals only, and they do not sell any liquid chlorine :rolleyes:. The other two are more geared towards parts/selling you a pool, but carry some chemicals...again, no liquid chlorine. Just pucks and powders. "Pool chlorine" seems to typically be bought from walmart and atwoods in this town, both of which are completely sold out of dedicated pool chlorine and household bleach. The other option here is Lowes, they are out as well, but also I checked out lowes last year and they stored the chlorine out in direct sun and it was a year out of date! Next is the various grocery (krogers, etc) and small stores (dollar general).. all out!! I have not saw bleach, pool chlorine, toilet paper, wipes, paper towels for a month and a half. This pandemic hit right when people start opening their pools around here, so I assume that is where the bleach is going in addition to hoarding for other reasons.

My Governor is planning on loosening restrictions May 4th. Whether or not I agree with that... maybe people will stop hoarding by then.

Do you do Sam’s? My mom has been ordering bleach from them and having it delivered to her home.

My mom has a sams membership. But...

Heres my sams, I guess?

All I see is a 3pk of Clorox, or Germicidal Bleach, I don't think you are suppose to use either? Either way, both say out of stock online / in store. :( 'Chlorine' only brings up tablets.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Heres my sams, I guess?

All I see is a 3pk of Clorox, or Germicidal Bleach, I don't think you are suppose to use either? Either way, both say out of stock online / in store. :( 'Chlorine' only brings up tablets.
Did you Check homedepot? They have liquid shock but I think they deliver from the physical local store only. If you need powdered shock amazon has 12 packs of hth that’s cal based. The essential brand is junk IMHO. Tried it and stained my pool

Did you Check homedepot? They have liquid shock but I think they deliver from the physical local store only. If you need powdered shock amazon has 12 packs of hth that’s cal based. The essential brand is junk IMHO. Tried it and stained my pool

We don't have a Home Depot, just Atwoods and Lowes here :(

I already do have cal hypo. I have 12, 1lb bags of In The Swim. I'll probably have to get some more if I am to slam with it.

Heres my sams, I guess?

Gemicidle bleach is good stuff usually without additives.

I wonder how many people have 20 gallons of bleach and 400 rolls of TP in their basement :) We are starting to get Toilet paper in stock around North Atlanta but still hot or miss.

I wonder!! My husband had to give TP to coworker that had run completely out and was desperate, lol.

Make sure when your search for bleach, you search for "chlorinating liquid" or "liquid shock" as well. It doesn't always show up when you search for chlorine or bleach. It's an hour away, but Jacksonville Lowes has 74 gallons in stock. Make sure their not limiting max quantities if you plan to take the trip.

Just passin' through and wishing you the best of luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.