Howdy.. Another new pool in Texas

Locotl

Gold Supporter
Oct 23, 2019
Texas
Mod note.. this thread moved from Intro to Construction as it just made more sense.. Jim R.

I've been lurking for the last 4 months and we are in the final stages to select a PB. We never had a pool, so its been a little overwhelming to read and watch videos of pool materials/maintenance. At first we only wanted a pool (no decking), but now our project is even considering a small pool pavilion. We should be picking a PB within the next month and my family and I are very excited about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Don't forget to update your signature once you have all of your pool and equipment details. Also specify which part of this great state you reside since we all know Texas is somewhat large, and the weather/pool conditions vary from E>W>N>S. Great to have you with us.

Reactions: Locotl
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Don't forget to update your signature once you have all of your pool and equipment details. Also specify which part of this great state you reside since we all know Texas is somewhat large, and the weather/pool conditions vary from E>W>N>S. Great to have you with us.
Houston/Clear Lake area.
Yesterday I had a quote from a PB and one of the major differences I noticed was that they wanted to use for the walls a #3 rebar 6" vs another quote #4 rebar 10" on centers. Both had #4bars on beams. Wondering if that is necessary. My backyard is graded higher than the house 6" and about 12" higher than the fence.
Also their ratio and Gunite PSI is different 6:1 vs 7:1 cement to sand ratio and 4200 vs 4000 PSI.

Last edited:
I noticed was that they wanted to use for the walls a #3 rebar 6" vs another quote #4 rebar 10" on centers. Both had #4bars on beams. Wondering if that is necessary. My backyard is graded higher than the house 6" and about 12" higher than the fence.
Also their ratio and Gunite PSI is different 6:1 vs 7:1 cement to sand ratio and 4200 vs 4000 PSI.
This a a good question for @bdavis466. Can you help Brian?

Probably what's more important is that your pool is actually engineered for your site conditions. Most builders just use generic engineering which isn't necessarily the best approach.

Extra reinforcement where it's not needed is a waste of money but under- building can be a costly mistake that is not easily corrected and will be very expensive the second time around.

Welcome! I’m just south of you! You’ve come to the right place for all things pool. Be sure to read through pool school to get you started and start a build thread when your project gets started. Good luck!

I signed a contract and hope to start breaking ground in mid January.
The more I read , I think I'm sold on getting a SWG. But when I asked my PB about it. He said he didn't know what a "SWG" was. Is that a huge red flag?
Is that not a common acronym?
He has been in business less than 5 years but its highly recommended and builds a good product....
Also he uses Hayward products so I'm thinking of getting an AquaPlus system.
Any advice?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
L,

SWCG or SWG, stands for Saltwater Chlorine Generator... The SWCG uses low voltage electricity to convert the salt in the pool water into chlorine..

Did he seem to know what a saltwater pool is???

Hayward makes one of the best salt cells the T-15... Make sure any cell you get is at least 2 X the volume of your pool and because you will have to run your pump longer, make sure you get a VS pump.. You really should have a VS pump no matter what as it really cuts down on the electrical cost.. I run my pump 24/7 for less than $20 bucks a month.. (You do not have to run 24/7, it is just something I personally like to do..)

Thanks,

Jim R.

L,

SWCG or SWG, stands for Saltwater Chlorine Generator... The SWCG uses low voltage electricity to convert the salt in the pool water into chlorine..

Did he seem to know what a saltwater pool is???

Hayward makes one of the best salt cells the T-15... Make sure any cell you get is at least 2 X the volume of your pool and because you will have to run your pump longer, make sure you get a VS pump.. You really should have a VS pump no matter what as it really cuts down on the electrical cost.. I run my pump 24/7 for less than $20 bucks a month.. (You do not have to run 24/7, it is just something I personally like to do..)

Thanks,

Jim R.
Yes he knows what a saltwater pool is....
Getting a VS950, I got 4 bubblers and didn't want a separate pump.

After a couple of PBs interviews I decided to do my own drawing of what I wanted....
42x18 rectangular pool, no spa. 20x20 pool pavillion. Decided against fireplace.
Will post pics of final PB animation soon.
20191022_163922.jpg

Well done on the design! LOVE the lay out! Really love how you have the shelf and steps. That keeps the swim part open for fun and play!

Grass-is it going to be real or fake grass? If real you will end up HATING it between the decking and patio. That will be SO hard to mow and not make a mess with the pool and deck.

Kim:kim:

Well done on the design! LOVE the lay out! Really love how you have the shelf and steps. That keeps the swim part open for fun and play!

Grass-is it going to be real or fake grass? If real you will end up HATING it between the decking and patio. That will be SO hard to mow and not make a mess with the pool and deck.

Real grass for now, I'll have someone to do it for me...

That is almost worse!!! They will not care if they get any clippings in the pool. A bagger might help some. Make sure they do NOT get any fertilizer in the pool as well. That stuff can really mess up your water. Just trying to think ahead for you by sharing things others have had to deal with. It WILL be pretty so might be worth it if you find the right lawn people!

I don't have a spa and most PBs have told me that automation will be overkill. I want to have SWG and I noticed that the Hayward AquaPlus can do some equipment automation. Has anyone used their Salt system to control pool lights/bubblers/pump. Or I just get an OnmiLogic to control the pool equipment and Salt cell?

L,

Most salt systems can't control anything but the salt cell... But.. the Hayward AquaPlus is part salt system and part automation... I suspect it would work great for what you want to do..

Look at the list of features in the following link...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.