Howdy all!

TexasBo83

Jun 9, 2019
Sugar Land, Tx
25000 gal in-ground pool/hot tub combo
between 3 and 4 yo pool

Fairly new to pool ownership and trying to save the roughly $200 a month we're paying the "pool guys" to maintain the pool which is clear at the moment but water balances aren't right. They're wanting us to drain and refill the entire system so they can get the balances under control. They're saying the stabilizers in the chlorine tablets have caused the water to not accept chlorine or some Crud. I've used some strips from LPS to test the balances myself, and the chlorine isn't reading. I've shocked the pool with roughly 2lbs of shock, and it didn't change anything. Also added 4 tablets to try and bring the chlorine levels up, and they had no effect (from what I've found 1 tablets should treat roughly 10k gal of water so I gave it a double dose hoping to get numbers up). Guessing I've got Heavy Chlorine Demand from a few forums I've read about the symptoms our pool has going on and I'm currently waiting for my new TF 100 test kit to get more accurate numbers so I can really tackle this situation. Don't want to grab up a huge load of bleach unless I know for sure that's what's going to get the pool balances back in target ranges.

Long story short, we had a green pool back in April, they shocked the pool like crazy which has cleared it up, but now it won't take chlorine. not sure exactly what chemicals they used either. Would like to just give these guys the boot and save myself $200 a month or at least be able to invest it in our pool directly and know for sure what's going on and that the pool's in a good, safe, usable state.

Just glad I found this site and their limitless pool knowledge.

At this point, I would not use any powdered chlorine or shocks in the pool or any tablets. It sounds to me like your stabilizer / conditioner (cyanuric acid) level is too high which results from overuse of tablets and powdered chlorine. For now, best to use only liquid chlorine to add about 5ppm per day to the pool until your kit arrives. Then, test your water and post up your results for further guidance. You may also want to add your pool details (gallons, above ground/in ground, surface type, etc) to your signature.