How to SLAM when spa won’t allow high levels of chlorine?

Mermaid Mama

May 16, 2019
Wake Forest, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Spa water is cloudy, I used dealers clarifier to fix bc she told me I absolutely shouldn’t try to SLAM bc it would damage UV system and Ozone Generators.

I was told I only need to keep Clorine at 1.0 bc of Ozone and UV cleaning systems. I have used the TFP method for years on an AGP and suspected a problem bc it wouldn’t hold chlorine like I thought it should but being new to Spas... I didn’t want to damage anything.

just adjusted pH down
PH 7.2
Chlorine 0
TA 90
CH 125

This might help you:

This might help you:
Thank you!

It got funky because of inadequate sanitizer levels.
Regardless of uv or ozone use you should always adhere to the FC/CYA Levels. Hot tubs are essentially people soup. Without adequate sanitizer levels things proliferate rapidly & this can have dangerous consequences like legionaries, Pseudomonas folliculitis, or person to person transmission of other nasties 🤢.
Did you do an Ahhsome purge on this tub when you got it? If not - now is the time. Then after refilling, follow the guide that @kimkats posted.
Trying to SLAM Process a hot tub can be troublesome if it takes more than a couple rounds & you are often better served just purging & starting fresh.

Reactions: Mermaid Mama
That is not true. Just to 'clarify'.
Thank you, when I asked her what the max was at first she said 3 then she said 6... so I suspected that maybe there wasn’t a hard and fast rule about this.

I have suspected something was growing bc of the way my chlorine was disappearing and I talked to her about that and her response was to not get too hung up on it bc the UV and Ozone were doing most of the work and only need tiny amount of bleach.

It got funky because of inadequate sanitizer levels.
Regardless of uv or ozone use you should always adhere to the FC/CYA Levels. Hot tubs are essentially people soup. Without adequate sanitizer levels things proliferate rapidly & this can have dangerous consequences like legionaries, Pseudomonas folliculitis, or person to person transmission of other nasties 🤢.
Did you do an Ahhsome purge on this tub when you got it? If not - now is the time. Then after refilling, follow the guide that @kimkats posted.
Trying to SLAM Process a hot tub can be troublesome if it takes more than a couple rounds & you are often better served just purging & starting fresh.
Yes, biofilms were cleaned out first. Grrrr I should have followed my gut and holding the chlorine levels.

I just adjusted the TA down and I turned on the jets to boost the pH but the jets are lowering... could my ozoninator be affecting this?
If I can’t get this figured out quickly then I won’t hesitate to drain it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This might help you:
Hi KimKats,
This was great and you are always so helpful! Do you happen to know the SLAM process with UV and Ozone? I didn’t realize the darn UV and Ozone were going to be such a pain and make it harder to understand what’s happening with the water. Most SwimSpas in my area are on back order for a year so when I could have this one in a month... I was thrilled! I thought I will add my Chlorine and do it like I did the pool and not bother with UV and Ozone. Foolishly I thought I could turn it off. 🤦‍♀️

Just drain it and start fresh.

You have too many moving parts to get the water cleared without a lot of frustrations.

Just drain it and start fresh.

You have too many moving parts to get the water cleared without a lot of frustrations.
Perfect! Thank you!
Should I try to have the ozone disconnected? I am a type A person and don’t like I can’t measure it... also in hindsight the ozone has probably been the reason I have had such a hard time developing a baseline even when it was brand new and unused and the biofilms were flushed out.

Perfect! Thank you!
Should I try to have the ozone disconnected? I am a type A person and don’t like I can’t measure it... also in hindsight the ozone has probably been the reason I have had such a hard time developing a baseline even when it was brand new and unused and the biofilms were flushed out.
@RDspaguy provides his experience with ozone in a spa in these threads…

Reactions: Mdragger88
I would also add that clarifiers are of no use in a portable spa, or anything with a cartridge filter.
Chemical manufacturers recommend them because they want to sell chemicals. They recommend alot of things you don't need or only need under certain circumstances. Pool and spa stores repeat whatever the manufacturer says, partly for liability reasons, and partly from lack of knowledge and experience. Most pool techs and store employees can't afford a pool or spa, and even us spa techs tend to get them needing repairs and sell them shortly after we are done fixing them. And the only training available comes from the manufacturers. Or TFP, but most industry folks don't seek to educate themselves beyond the training provided. And TFP is not welcoming to industry professionals anyway, I can tell you from experience.
But I digress...
Clarifiers are primarily for sand filters, which often cannot filter out the smaller particles simply due to the spaces between the grains. That is why a sand filter works best when partly dirty. A small amount of DE can be added to improve filtration as well, but will lead to more frequent backwashing. The clarifier causes the small particles to clump together and become large enough to get caught in the filter.
A cartridge filter has much smaller "holes" and so catches much smaller particles. A DE filter is even better. Neither benefits from clarifiers exept in certain, rather rare, circumastances. And under those circumstances in a spa I recommend draining and refilling, or heavy oxidation, or sequesterants, etc, but not clarifier.
Slamming will absolutely not damage your ozonator, and can only effect your uv o-rings, just as it can any other rubber o-rings and gaskets in the spa. This is dependent on what chlorine you are using, as most chlorine sources effect ph so a high concentration tends to raise or lower ph, which is what actually causes the damage, and to more than just o-rings. If using dichlor (spa chlorinating granules) it will raise your stabilizer (cya) so much it will interfere with your chlorine causing you to need more chlorine to get the same effect, which in turn raises your cya more causing you to need more chlorine...
Also be aware that high chlorine will bleach out and deteriorate jets, pillows, and covers over time.
So there is a list of reasons you should not slam your spa on a regular basis, but ozonator/uv damage is not one of them.
I personally won't keep a spa without 24/7 ozone, but if you should decide to disconnect these devices, post pics of the equipment area, wiring diagram, and circuit board and I will be happy to tell you how.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.