How to protect stonework by the pool?

May 12, 2013
Texas
Hello - How do I protect the red stones (see pic) from year long exposure to sunlight and hot climate (in the South USA)? I am new to home pool care and would greatly appreciate your advice.

Attachments

• 20200719_112649.jpg
    20200719_112649.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 35
Welcome to TFP.

Did you recently build his pool?

Did you select those stones?

Why do you think the stones need to be protected from their natural look as they age?

Thanks for the welcome! I didn't build the pool. This is the first time i am maintaining a pool so wanted to know how to take care of the stones. My wife thinks there should be some kind of sealing or maintenance for these.

Are you in Texas or GA?

I think stones are left to naturally weather. Let’s see what others in your area say.

I am in Texas and have those stones (flagstone) also. They should not be coated with any type of coating. The only thing that may need to be done is a cleaning. They can be easily cleaned with a light solution of muriatic acid. I use 25% acid to 75% water. Always pour the acid into the water, not water into the acid..... It is not unusual for the stones to reach 140 - 150 degrees F on a hot Texas day. Slight cracks along the mortar joints are common due to the extreme heat that the stones can reach and maintain. These are natural stones and are cut to different thickness....usually 1 1/2 to 2 inches. I have seen pools that people have tried to coat for a shiny appearance. They become slippery and the coatings start to peel off after some intense heat.....again, these are natural stones that are cut down to size..

Reactions: savvyRookie
I am in Texas and have those stones (flagstone) also. They should not be coated with any type of coating. The only thing that may need to be done is a cleaning. They can be easily cleaned with a light solution of muriatic acid. I use 25% acid to 75% water. Always pour the acid into the water, not water into the acid..... It is not unusual for the stones to reach 140 - 150 degrees F on a hot Texas day. Slight cracks along the mortar joints are common due to the extreme heat that the stones can reach and maintain. These are natural stones and are cut to different thickness....usually 1 1/2 to 2 inches. I have seen pools that people have tried to coat for a shiny appearance. They become slippery and the coatings start to peel off after some intense heat.....again, these are natural stones that are cut down to size..
Thank you

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.