Pool builder closing mistakes - how to prove they cause if cracks, leaks, etc.?

Did you ever do anything about the stains?

I hired PB, then a local company to close my pool the first 2 years. I watched each of them, took notes and pictures and asked a ton of questions. After reading information from this site and observing them both doing it a bit differently, I decided to do it myself. I created a set of instructions to remind myself each year what to do and in what order. My pool is super simple yours has a lot more bells and whistles on it, but if the pool people can close your pool so can you !! Closing yourself avoids the stress you are currently experiencing, wondering if they’re doing it correctly, who’s going to fix/pay for it if done incorrectly……Learn how to Do it yourself and you’ll sleep much better! If I screw it up it’s on me I’ll deal with it.

Reactions: Newdude
PB closed my pool last year. They did a terrible job. They didn’t winterize heater, they didn’t even take the salt salt out. They put a lot of algecides, God knows what else they put. They haven’t put gizmo or anything in the skimmers either!

I wanted to do it myself this year for the first time. I was planning to buy the cyclone pool line blower. My pool is a bit complicated, has in floor cleaning system, waterfalls, bubbles etc.

A pool professional recommended me to still go with PB since if something happens after closing, I could sue them for it. Is that true? How can I hold PB accountable and liable for anything bad happens like leaking, cracking etc once pool opened? Do I record a video everything functioning before closing? Do I take pics? How can I prove in courts they cause big problems? What are some of the ways to protect myself from their risky closing practices and put the liability on them? They are a big pool builder company, but they don’t respond to any emails or calls, so if Godfid smt happens, I am 100% sure that they will not return my calls unless I sue them.

They charge $500 for closing, I would rather them to do it if there is a way to prove in laws that they cause it smt bad happens. I really really appreciate any advice.

My pool is built 2 years ago. I am the 2nd owner. 25K gallon SWG, 20x40 gunite pebbletec. I maintained it throughout the summer.

Here are some pics.
You have 2 options,

Set up cameras in all of the places that they would be working like around the skimmer, the heater, pump/filter. Tell them exactly what you want done. Tell them you don't need any chems except for pool antifreeze.

The second option, is take the day off when they are closing your pool and follow them around while they close your pool.

Last edited:
I decided to close it myself. I called the PB forth time and left another vm. I never received a callback. I asked them to cancel all future openings and closings. They confirmed the cancellation.

Should I continue this thread or open another thread for my first closing experience and challenges? Because I am pretty sure I can’t do it alone!!!!

Reactions: Diane e
Should I continue this thread or open another thread for my first closing experience and challenges? Because I am pretty sure I can’t do it alone!!!!

Keep using this thread.

Reactions: rozus
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.