How to lower chlorine level

My chlorine in hot tub is too high. How can I lower it?
If the CYA level is at least 40ppm the chlorine is safe to swim if it’s 16ppm or lower. Lots of people think it’s too high when it isn’t.

But chlorine will go down each day all by itself. If it’s outdoor tub, letting the sun hit it will make it go faster.

Reactions: Gebo
Not trying to muddy the water but hydrogen peroxide will eliminate chlorine in seconds. Just a few ounces will eliminate all chlorine. Ask me how I know.

I’m not recommending its use unless you have no place else to go.

Not trying to muddy the water but hydrogen peroxide will eliminate chlorine in seconds. Just a few ounces will eliminate all chlorine. Ask me how I know.

I’m not recommending its use unless you have no place else to go.
Since this is the OP first thread I’m guessing they don’t have a reliable test kit yet and or using test strips to measure chlorine. Assuming that’s true the chlorine -probably- isn’t too high anyway, it’s just not knowing the FC/CYA ratio.

Reactions: Newdude
100% agreement.

In the beginning where some of us really goof up, I made a very huge mistake on chlorine addition. 10x what was required. Decimal point error. Plus me not thinking. I also confused chlorine with soda bicarbonate. You get the picture. I waited 3 days and finally resorted to 35% hydrogen peroxide.

I still have the qt bottle and will probably never touch it again.

I don’t think it’s applicable in this situation but it is one way to eliminate chlorine. LOL

Reactions: Newdude and JamesW
100% agreement.

In the beginning where some of us really goof up, I made a very huge mistake on chlorine addition. 10x what was required. Decimal point error. Plus me not thinking. I also confused chlorine with soda bicarbonate. You get the picture. I waited 3 days and finally resorted to 35% hydrogen peroxide.

I still have the qt bottle and will probably never touch it again.

I don’t think it’s applicable in this situation but it is one way to eliminate chlorine. LOL
In the old days we would use sodium thiosulphate to neutralize excess chlorine, the OLD days

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.