How often to add bleach and using a stainless brush

Lesson learned, dont trust the PB data sheet for gallons... I've been calculating for 11300 per the design sheet left to me by the previous home owner but when I used the pool math page to add bleach it didn't get me back to 20 FC... but 17.5 FC. I plugged it in again using 11800, added how much bleach it told me to and it got me right to 20. Still zero detectable CC. Will be testing tomorrow morning, but the pool is sparkling right now. Also I found out due to my partner discount (brother works at HEB) I am getting 27 cents off each bottle of bleach, making it an even better deal! Does anyone know how to use the pool math app to do the same thing the old pool math page does? All I see is cost of bleach and effects of adding in the app. Maybe I am missing something? Thanks again guys!

Have you set up your pool in the app? Go to Pool Setup, the gear icon in the upper right. Also be sure you sign in with your TFP username and password.

The app has far more utility than the web page.

I lost 2ppm of FC last night, and still have zero CC, so I am getting closer. I have a brand new Zodiac MX8 that I have been using to keep the pool clean during my Slam.. bad idea?

Running the robot at below SLAM levels should be OK. Take it out and wash it off well with fresh water after each use.

Last night I had 20FC this morning 18 so I continued my slam and added enough bleach to get me to 25FC for the day... weather here was so so but when I got home from work I had 10FC. I also checked my CYA due to the drop at it is now 30. Should I add CYA or use some pucks? It was overcast most of the day so I don’t understand the chlorine loss. I ran the drop test twice to confirm and got both times the solution cleared in 20 drops.

The chlorine found something to kill. Stay at SLAM.

CYA should not drop unless you have drained some water.

You are right I did the test again and held it by my waist where I usually do and got 45-50CYA. I actually have .5 CC which is the first time I’ve detected CC. I added bleach to raise it back to slam and will check again in 20-30 min and again in the morning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hmm I have two skimmers and I’ll have to look and see how to remove the trim at the light. The light is in the shadier end of the pool where algae first pops up. No ladder and no idea how to remove the weir doors.

I am beginning to think either I have grossly misestimated my pool size or my bleach is expired/weak. I added enough to get me to 20FC after sundown and ended up at about 15 FC 30 min later. If this is true I am also misestimating my chlorine usage because I don't have time to wait 30 min after adding bleach in the morning before leaving for work. I found some numbers on the bleach but nothing I recognize as far as dates. Overnight I had zero FC drop and zero CC.

The date is called a Julian date. Look for 19XXX. The 19 is the year. The XXX are the number of days into the year the bottle was filled.

You should be OK using anything bottled after 19030.

What type of light do you have? If it has a single screw at the top, it has the niche. Remove the single screw, tilt the top of the ligt out and lift slightly to disengage the lower clip. There should be enough cord to place the light housing on the deck. You can leave the light housing floating in the pool until the SLAM is complete. Clean out the niche. You may be surprised at how much gunk is behind the light housing.

You don't necessarily need to remove the weir door - just inspect the back of it for any signs of green. Clean if needed.

Post the numbers on the bottle.

DJ,

Not sure what part of Houston you live in but there is a place in NW called Napco that refills your containers. Their price was always very good when I lived there. Here's the address: 2830 Spring Cypress Rd, Spring TX 77388. Phone used to be 832-585-3278.

I hope this helps.

Chris

I am at a loss. I checked and all the bleach I’m using was recently bottled. I moved my pool math settings to 12k gallons, added how much bleach it told me to get back to 20 Fc. 40 min later I tested and only got 14.5 FC. It is dark out. Could organic matter use chlorine that fast? I checked my skimmer doors and no algae, but did find a tiny bit of green under my light trim.

DJ,

The short answer is yes. If your size and bleach purity are right the only thing that can be happening is algae, organics or added chemicals are consuming your chlorine. Any possibility you added any other chemicals that may have ammonia in them?

Chris

Haven’t added anything besides bleach. I did the math and for me to go from 9 to only 14.5 FC with how much bleach I added that would mean the pool was 22k gallons approximately and that isn’t possible. The pool is sparkling and I passed a drop test last night. I will test again in the morning so see what I lost at night but something isn’t adding up.

I hate to do this but I am considering throwing in the towel for a bit. I am on a project at work that requires me to work about 12 hours a day and I think I am losing my SLAM during the day. I figured I could add enough in the morning to keep above during the day but it’s just not working. The pool needs to be babysat more so I may have to revisit this when I am not gone so much.

Passed another drop test this morning. 14.5 FC, water turned the slightest shade of pink after 5 drops from the yellow bottle, went away with one drop of the 0871 reagent so less than 0.5 CC. There was some dirt or gunk (not green.. white maybe?) in the enclosure but it got dark before I could get to it. I'm going to vacuum it out today. I did get all the green from the plaster under the niche trim ring.

Dumb question. Does this pool look like 11300 gallons? I did the math on pool math as far as what I'm adding and the FC jump I see and my pool is either 23K gallons or this bleach is about 5 percent. Its 3-4 feet deep on either side and and about 5ft in the middle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.