How much to chip out for new plaster

Mar 2, 2012
Beaumont, Texas
My pool was build in 2005. I’m in the process of replaster with StoneScapes midnight blue mini pebble. They on chip below tile all around the pool. Is this normal process? I told my pool guy that most replaster did chip all the old plaster out.

A full chip out is better in the long run BUT it does cost more. A partial chip out for new plaster is allowed one time. If you ever need to plaster again down the road they will then have to do a full chip out of TWO plaster jobs so it will cost even more down the road.

It seems to be a regional thing. In some areas PB always propose chipping out plaster. In other areas they will put a second layer on the first. Third replaster job then may need a chipout.

I have replastered two pools over the years putting second layer over the first without any problems. In both pools the old plaster layer was solid. The right prep work needs to be done on it and a bonding coat applied. All my pool plaster have lasted 15-20 years and I haven’t gotten to where the pool needs a third plaster job yet.

You did not put a location in your profile to know what area we are talking about.

If you are going to hang around here please put details of your pool in your signature. See What we need to know to answer your questions

Beaumont, tx an hour away from Houston. Glass tile install today. Plaster will done Monday. After plaster is finish. How long do I wait to fill up the water? Do I need to add any chemical after water full to the tile. Is this reason price for $8000?

Beaumont, tx an hour away from Houston. Glass tile install today. Plaster will done Monday. After plaster is finish. How long do I wait to fill up the water? Do I need to add any chemical after water full to the tile. Is this reason price for $8000?

Is the pool the size of a hot tub or 10 lane Olympic competition size pool? Besides if your slated to start now is a little late to ask about cost!

John

Our local expert says 6 hours before you start to fill your newly plastered pool. Read the following for a great new plaster discussion. Pool Plaster Tips for the Average Homeowner. But don't stop the fill once started until it's up onto the tile area.

And on the chemical question: Start up new plaster

Our local expert says 6 hours before you start to fill your newly plastered pool. Read the following for a great new plaster discussion. Pool Plaster Tips for the Average Homeowner. But don't stop the fill once started until it's up onto the tile area.

And on the chemical question: Start up new plaster
It’s expected to rain the next day after plaster finished. is this rain going to cost any trouble? Should I wait until weather is clear to do plaster?

Last edited:
The potential issue with rain before the pool is finished filling, is if its a hard rain and water is rolling down the sides of the pool as the pool is filling, that's not ideal and can lead to streaking. It would be the same reason you won't start water in the spa and have it flow over into the pool and down the wall. But a pool usually fills in 12-24 hours. The more hoses the faster. You can even contract with your neighbor for a hose drop. They will likely benefit from your pool anyway at some point.

No rain throughout the period is best. We'll see if others provide their view on your question.

Reactions: Leebo

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You doing a Pebble pool? There is a different start-up guide for that. With or without a SWG?

Day 1 #6 skip or do it?
6. Although optional, it is highly recommended to pre-dilute and add a quality sequestering agent using the recommended initial start-up dosage and then the recommended maintenance dosage per the sequestering agent’s manufacturer.

Day 1 #6 skip or do it?
6. Although optional, it is highly recommended to pre-dilute and add a quality sequestering agent using the recommended initial start-up dosage and then the recommended maintenance dosage per the sequestering agent’s manufacturer.

Depends on the quality of your fill water. If you have iron or copper in your fill water then a sequestering agent can help prevent it from staining your plaster.

Where is your fill water coming from?

What does your PB say about the need for it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.