How is this looking (sub panel)

Is your main panel required to have two grounding rods?

Again, don't confuse grounding with bonding. Two totally separate things. You are going to need an inspection anyway. Why not see what the inspector says?

Is your main panel required to have two grounding rods?

Again, don't confuse grounding with bonding. Two totally separate things. You are going to need an inspection anyway. Why not see what the inspector says?

my theory is that 2 grounding rods at the main will cover any resistance requirement, and since i have the second rod in the ground already, why not just connect them to cover my bases?

my theory is that 2 grounding rods at the main will cover any resistance requirement, and since i have the second rod in the ground already, why not just connect them to cover my bases?

At the end of the day, it comes down to what the inspector says.

You theory will cause voltage differentials between the grounds that cause stray currents. You want all current to be flowing back to one ground point in a house electrical system.

I do not understand "resistance requirement"?

Terminology is important in whether we are discussing grounding or bonding which is two different things done differently for different reasons.

I was referencing the following:

250.56 Resistance of Rod, Pipe, and Plate Electrodes. A single electrode consisting of a rod, pipe, or plate that does not have a resistance to ground of 25 ohms or less shall be

augmented by one additional electrode of any of the types specified by 250.52(A)(4) through (A)(8). Where multiple rod,

pipe, or plate electrodes are installed to meet the requirements of this section, they shall not be less than 1.8 m (6 ft) apart.

Do you know your grounding rod does not meet the resistance requirements? 250.56 does not say you can install multiple grounds if one meets the resistance requirements.

According to what I am reading you are supposed to supply the readings to pass inspection but with two rods no readings need to be provided. I have no idea if that is accurate but I’m seeing that sentiment in several forums. Ultimately, I’ll just do whatever the inspector wants, but from what I am reading double rods seems very common if not required. But I have no practical experience here.

On new service installals or meter pan repair/replace you need 2 grounding rods. Different inspectors want different things on an outdoor sub panel. Rarely do they want a ground rod, but I've encountered it twice when the service was older and had a single service rod. This is not in NEC anywhere. Code states any sub panel to have seperate ground and nuetral bars and the ground bolt should not be installed in a sub panel. The only combination of nuetral and ground occurs in the main panel. The pools grounding and bonding never touch except in a UL listed Jbox with a 120v wet niche. No harm having the ground rod there and not using it. For using it on service It will not meet code that far apart I believe the double rod has to be 3ft max apart

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.