How I cool down my Pool

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I tried those in GA and they didn't work very well. In addition to not working to lower the temp of the pool, they stop your water from circulating properly, and get in the way when you swim.

I solved my temp problem by installing 4x6 posts and attaching shade sails over the pool. That reduced my water temp by 5-10 degrees depending on if I put up 1 or 2 large (16x24) shade sails. It also provided shade!

I also tried one of those amazon waterfall sprayers. Had to sacrifice one of my 3 jets for it of course but in order to get any kind of decent spray also had to plug another jet. So gave up 2 jets and a lot of skimmer efficiency for a ‘water feature’. Family liked it anyway. Took it out when we covered the pool for the season. Hopefully it just gets forgotten about next year.

I also tried one of those amazon waterfall sprayers. Had to sacrifice one of my 3 jets for it of course but in order to get any kind of decent spray also had to plug another jet. So gave up 2 jets and a lot of skimmer efficiency for a ‘water feature’. Family liked it anyway. Took it out when we covered the pool for the season. Hopefully it just gets forgotten about next year.
I got one last summer and liked it. My pool was on the cusp of being too warm, so I sacrificed one of my 3 returns and put this sprayer on it. The water never got too warm, the family liked the water spray and the sound of it, and it only cost me $24. I can't say scientifically if it cooled my water temperature, but psychologically it did! It was a win.

I tried one of the Amazon sprayers and it was too short, it didn't quite break the surface of the pool. So I had homebuilt one. It worked pretty darn well. I had to plug off 2 of the remaining 3 returns to get it to spray high enough. If I use it next year, I will buy some plugs to fit in the returns and drill small holes to allow flow from each return, but still build the backpressure needed for running the sprayer.

--Jeff

You certainly can’t beat the price! I’ve tried similar contraptions and had a little success in getting the temp down a few degrees. My bigger issue was the wind blowing the spray onto surrounding landscaping. I didn’t realize just how much damage the spray was doing until I got rid of the sprayers and added a chiller. Once I removed the sprayers, the plants that had really been struggling rebounded pretty quickly the next season. I had thought they were struggling due to the heat.

Good luck with your setup!

Reactions: Apsuhead
While it looks cool, don't get too excited about these aeration ideas. During construction, we even built in 4 aerators that can be activated via pool automation valves that spray over the entire pool area, and it didn't make a noticeable difference.

By chance we discovered that shading is the most efficient way to go. You can read/see pictures here and the cost is reasonable, especially since there are $0 operating costs after the purchase.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.