House internet issues

I don’t know. I’m assuming that uploading was cause I’m doing notes on line for work. We use a medical server based company for our treatment notes and I have been doing notes past 3 hours.

My kid on Roblox. My son on oculus on a server
So both of them are not only downloading the virtual environment, but they are also uploading their information for everyone else playing to download it. It's a network killer, even without the signal issues IMO.

I don’t know. I’m assuming that uploading was cause I’m doing notes on line for work. We use a medical server based company for our treatment notes and I have been doing notes past 3 hours.
If they really are just notes, should not take much bandwidth. Text content only uses a small amount of memory and bandwidth. I think Newdude pointing at your kids is a more likely culprit. Plus its better to blame the kids.

If they really are just notes, should not take much bandwidth. Text content only uses a small amount of memory and bandwidth. I think Newdude pointing at your kids is a more likely culprit. Plus its better to blame the kids.
so just to be clear. I literally couldn't even surf the web on 2 computers without the kids on devices playing games. take the other morning. I was up alone. so no other devices being actively used. I couldn't load sites to surf or do my notes. or say I was watching Netflix. a kid jumped on the web to surf around. one of us would get kicked off. so not only when games ae being played. its all over the place.

Just floating this out there, but you said you got the xFi Advanced Gateway in the past few weeks. I read that the XB7 had a lot of issues with dropped connections etc., might be worth updating the firmware if possible.

Last edited:
Just floating this out there, but you said you got the xFi Advanced Gateway in the past few weeks. I read that the XB7 had a lot of issues with dropped connections etc., might be worth updating the firmware if possible.
This all started 2 weeks before thst gateway was out in my house. I was all nice and comfortable with a 12 year old surfboard and my own router. Then we had the service outage and all this started. Tech 1 actually said. Wait for it. Everything is good. I said I have barely any service. So I booted him. Second guy actually took a filter off adde one outside. He was nice. Gave me a gateway. Notcthe newest one. Service still miserable. 3rd guy ripped everything out of my panel to outside of house. Required some rg6 stuff. I’m double bonded now inside and out. I think that’s thier new magical voodoo for homeowners that don’t know anything. He added newest gateway like he was giving me a 20 caret Diamond. Also the one who said I needed a new line. With supervisor pretty much putting me up against the wall that if I don’t do the new line they are done with me. So I’ll play the game. And here we are. I will say since I removed everything from my network andIm building it back up I’m actually pretty good now. Like way way way better than 3 weeks ago but riddle me this. If it the crushed line but also say my camera how come for 15 years I was ok. Yes I have added stuff but how come the hour before the outage I was ok and right after it’s a cluster. Really. Explain it to me cause I have been miserable over this for 4 weeks and all I thought about my whole vacation as I was fishing 30 miles off the coast doing what I love I’m literally ******** to the guys I’m with instead of enjoying the snapper and grouper I’m catching! Sooooo frustrating. And I’m keeping this pg cause I don’t want to get yelled at but you should be in my house or around me. Oh it’s interesting. Lol I’m usually so happy but the last tech insulting everyrhing before ever doing anything lost it for me. You don’t mess with me, my boys, and my dads boys who are like fathers to me. Those that know me here now that.

Has the wire ever been hit that you know of ? Ours was shot upon moving into the new place and it was 18 years old. I have no clue about the history, but I know the new one got kissed 5 times in a year and a half, and I knew exactly where it was. They just gave me a new - new line.

But if you are comfortable it's never been touched, have it marked and you can dig up either side if the tree and patch it to prove it. The service will improve immediately and you can then buy the 200 ft (?) of pricey wire, knowing you aren't being fed baloney.

In 7 years when you get around to it. (Because let's be honest when the temporary patch works fine ) :ROFLMAO:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It’s right under a tree. I know for a fact cause I pulled up my pictures when we built. It’s in the plastic little conduit Comcast uses. Then meets up with my schedule 40 which is not under the tree and they couldn’t get it to move at all on either end. I believe them that it’s crushed. If I knew schedule 40 was under that tree I would question it. And I have that really heavy wire that’s not rg6 that has like zero play on it.

Then to me it's worth an hour or two to prove it.

They proved my original wire bad by looking at the signal drops from the tap feeding myself and a few neighbors. The neighbors all stayed synced and I had many signal losses. It took 3 attempts because the first 2 were sub-sub contractors. They didn't have access to the company systems needed to see my usage history. The actual employee guy pulled it up on his phone right in front of me. 'Wow. OK. Look at that'

Then to me it's worth an hour or two to prove it.

They proved my original wire bad by looking at the signal drops from the tap feeding myself and a few neighbors. The neighbors all stayed synced and I had many signal losses. It took 3 attempts because the first 2 were sub-sub contractors. They didn't have access to the company systems needed to see my usage history. The actual employee guy pulled it up on his phone right in front of me. 'Wow. OK. Look at that'
Wait explain this to me more? What do I ask them to show me?

My cable line is down 4 feet at least from when I built. Wouldn’t it be pretty hard to dig it up especially under a tree?

Wait explain this to me more? What do I ask them to show me?
The tech showed me a graph of my common tap. My 3 neighbors had no service drops and mine had a dozen a day. It may take a call to an engineer, but a seasoned tech should be able to get the info. The dudes in the unmarked white vans probably not.

So he saw right away that I wasn't nuts and the problem was isolated to only my house. The last time it had dropped, I took the modem outside and connected it directly to the buried wire with no success. So he took a reading at the tap and another at the house to prove the buried wire had way too much signal loss. He laid a new one on the ground and it took them a couple days to come back to bury it.

I'm kinda surprised they are putting it on you because most people wouldn't spend the money to remain a customer.
My cable line is down 4 feet at least from when I built. Wouldn’t it be pretty hard to dig it up especially under a tree?
Electric only goes 3 ft and the other 2 get tossed in the hole after its backfilled a little. Unless you built the area up afterwards.

But even so, go out 4 ft from the tree on either side and it's just dirt. Expose it and add a 8 ft temporary patch (wink wink).

Last edited:
They are paying for new line. He meant if I don’t do everything they suggest and still have issues I’m on my own cause I didn’t let them fix everything. I just don’t want my yard ripped up. They said they use a trench machine but these sun companies are clowns. They left a cable line laying over our road for 1 year and then instead of billeting it through they Cut of the in the road and then sealed that V with the wire inside of it I completely am not making this up if our roads weren’t repayd and they actually had to fix it the right way I would take a picture and show you the other time they laid a line in the woods through three empty lots for over two years until someone actually complained it wasn’t being buried and then they literally zip tied it in trees until they got to the end of the lot where it needed to go into the house on the next lot I’m seriously not making this up

Reactions: Newdude
So back to the issues that will likely persist with a stronger signal, here's what im seeing. (And disclaimer, I'm not a broadband spectrumologist)

At the blue line in time, the upload capacity was reached and no more devices could request a download, which fell off a cliff. The minute the uploading lessened, everything else that was waiting promptly made up for lost time. Keep in mind, the graph is showing GB used, not the Mbps transfers. So those GBs took some time at 20Mps to upload, and much less time at 700M down.

Screenshot_20220826-164626_Chrome.jpg

Cameras and gaming, even cute gaming like Roblox/Occulus are to blame. Heck. You can pull out your phone and stream the contents of your fridge now. Which is a download to the cellphone, but an equal upload from the fridge to the ISP so you can download it. It's a 50/50 transaction but your bandwidth is really one directional at 700/20.

I totally got u. Man my kid has been on oculus for 32 mins. He is in a server game and only has used 32 megs of data from what I’m seeing. Now my daughter this afternoon pushed 9 gb so I’m assuming she was on Netflix. That 32 megs for oculus on a server is really low. Figured it would have been higher. Let me tell u. I’m running pretty good here past full day. Now grant it my cameras and security are still offline along with a bunch of other wired devices but overall wireless clients are doing great. Maybe its my cameras. I’m afraid to try. I’m not touching anything till Monday. I want to enjoy my weekend of fishing. Lol. Tomorrow we are heading to a lager lake where they are having thier summer festival all weekend. We are only fishing till 10 am so I’m hoping the nuts aren’t out till after we get off. I haven’t been up there in a few weeks.

waiting on my line. internet has been good. i keep adding stuff to my network and im running ok. the DVR for the cameras are not in there still. I got my pool and security back on line. i can tunnel in for control of both and no issues. i really think my dvr for the cameras is my main issue besides the "crushed line".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.