Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So my startup was around noon on Tuesday.

Currently I am at

7.6 ph
90 alkalinity
200 calcium hardness
40 CYA

Where should I go from here on new pebble plaster? I plan to add chlorine tomorrow. Most of the plaster dust is gone at this point.

Reactions: travelfeedsthesoul
Startup guide says no chlorine until day 3. He is 50 hours in. Time for first chlorine addition.
Was going to do it in the am but I just added it since technically everything else is balanced and it is technically day 3. I’ll let y’all know the reading in about a hour.

Well I’m at 3 FC but now my PH is around 7.8.

You test pH before or after you added chlorine?

Test your pH before you add chlorine.

After you add chlorine pH may test higher for a while and then will settle back down.

Okay the original reading was before chlorine the second one was about 45 minutes after.

So it was 3 FC after a hour last night but it’s down to zero this morning? Is that normal what should I do? Just continuing to add Chlorine each day till it reaches 3? Or?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
what should I do? Just continuing to add Chlorine each day till it reaches 3? Or?
Now that you're in the clear past day 3, it's time to keep the FC balanced to the CYA you added earlier per the FC/CYA Levels. So find your current CYA on that chart and ensure the FC remains in the recommended range. Never let it drop below the minimum, and certainly never to zero. When it gets low, add liquid chlorine right away to avoid algae.

I need help. I am following charts and the app but my FC keeps dropping to below 1 within hours.

How much liquid chlorine or tabs do I need to add to keep above 3. I’ve gone through about 4.5 gallons of chlorine in two days. I guess I need a lot more?

This is kinda what pisses me off about the pool school. They didn’t actually give much info on how much of what to put in just go to Leslie’s.

This is kinda what pisses me off about the pool school. They didn’t actually give much info on how much of what to put in just go to Leslie’s.
Don't do THAT! Trust me. It will lead to more heart ache. I'm new too. The people here helped me get my pool straight when the pool store couldn't.

Have you downloaded pool math? PoolMath

Get this app. You enter your pool information, and your test results. It will tell you exactly what to add.

Yes, it will take a bunch of chlorine to get started. Don't give up.

What test kit are you using? Test Kits Compared

Also, update your signature, it will help us help you. Create your signature...

What % chlorine are you using?

What brand?

What are the date codes on the bottles?

It’s Pool Essentials 10%. Date code says 21 202 which I Assume is around July 21. So it’s about 2.5 weeks old and was probably stored in 100 degree weather. That’s probably my issue.

The thing is though even if this is only around 5% now a gallon should bring it up to 3.9. I added a gallon last night and it was essentially zero this morning. I’ve never had a chlorine reading above 3.

Guess I need to find some better stored and newer chlorine or just add a lot more next time.

Don't do THAT! Trust me. It will lead to more heart ache. I'm new too. The people here helped me get my pool straight when the pool store couldn't.

Have you downloaded pool math? PoolMath

Get this app. You enter your pool information, and your test results. It will tell you exactly what to add.

Yes, it will take a bunch of chlorine to get started. Don't give up.

What test kit are you using? Test Kits Compared

Also, update your signature, it will help us help you. Create your signature...
That’s what I have been using. Everything else is balanced. It’s just FC that I cannot get to maintain. I’m going to chalk it up to not using enough chlorine at a time. I’ll figure it out tomorrow I guess.

The only thing I have added to date has been muriatic acid which I add to keep ph down to 7.4-7.6, cya, chlorine, and hardness. I didn’t realize I had extremely soft water from the tap until the reading was 60. It at about 200 right now.

Right now I’m at
.2 FC
7.6Ph
80 alkalinity
30-40 cya

Last edited:
This time of year in your area the pool can use 4 ppm or more per day on a sunny day.

You could have some algae sneak into the water. But you really don’t want to Slam the pool for at least 30 days. So test the water two or three times a day and raise the FC to 3-4 ppm.

This time of year in your area the pool can use 4 ppm or more per day on a sunny day.

You could have some algae sneak into the water. But you really don’t want to Slam the pool for at least 30 days. So test the water two or three times a day and raise the FC to 3-4 ppm.
So what you are saying with my pool getting western sun and the Texas heat from 11am to sundown, I’ll probably have to be adding a gallon of liquid chlorine multiple times a day to keep it up to that level?

Do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test one night. At sundown raise your pool to 3-4 ppm. Test your FC 45 minutes after adding the FC. Then test your FC before sunup. See if you lost FC overnight which would indicate the presence of algae.

Reactions: PoolStored

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.