Hour 52 post startup

Do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test one night. At sundown raise your pool to 3-4 ppm. Test your FC 45 minutes after adding the FC. Then test your FC before sunup. See if you lost FC overnight which would indicate the presence of algae.
I mean I added a gallon and half of chlorine around 6:00pm tonight. I didn’t test until I got back home four hours later and FC is less than 1.
First time I added chlorine was the night this was posted again late in the evening and the next day there was zero FC upon testing around 7am.

The pool essentially sat full for about 38 hours before startup by the pool builder and then I added chlorine at the 54hr mark(from start up). It was up to 2-3 an hour after but zero the next morning.

Did the delay in startup from fill being completed screw me over? Should I have added chlorine way before I did since it was actuallly 90hrs post fill that chlorine was actually added?

What do I do if it is algae since I cannot SLAM.

Last edited:
The pool is crystal clear. I think it was the bleach. I put in 2 gallons of it this morning and it was still under 3. FAS DPD put it at 1.4. I added more and it’s up.

This is where is am at currently.

FC 7
PH 7.6
TA 90
CA Hardness 230
CYA 30 (I guess I was off earlier when I said 35-40).

How long should it take the FC to drop? Out of frustration I went to Leslie’s and had the water tested by them again and it said 4000ppm for phosphates so I ordered the PR10000 like my builder suggested for phosphates. I’ve also ordered the Taylor phosphate test because I have no idea how I went from 0 phosphates to 4000 in 3 days and not trusting the test from this morning, as thier numbers were substantially off for hardness(150) and TA. They said I was low on TA(60) when my TA has always been running 80-90.

You can expect FC to drop 3-4 ppm daily from the sun burning the FC off.

Dont get involved with phosphates. Nothing good will come from it. Be more patient and just focus on your FC and pH.

What color is your plaster? Post a pic of your pool?

It gets sun from essentially 11:30 to 8:00pm with 1-4 being direct full on intense westward sun, the it starts to get gradually shaded.

Still holding around 4.5.

Your water looks really good. Just maintain your FC between 3-7 for another 3 weeks. Then do the SLAM Process with a FC of 12 is you have CYA 30. If you do the SLAM Process too soon you risk bleaching out your nice blue color a bit.

Your water looks really good. Just maintain your FC between 3-7 for another 3 weeks. Then do the SLAM Process with a FC of 12 is you have CYA 30. If you do the SLAM Process too soon you risk bleaching out your nice blue color a bit.
Yeah I am not going to SLAM it. I guess I’m just gonna have to keep a constant eye on it and stay ahead of the chlorine loss. I’ll do the overnight chlorine loss test tonight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Guns Up! Trust the process and keep that pool gorgeous!
College Basketball Sport GIF by NCAA March Madness

Hi Wreckem. I'm in north Texas with a pool in sun for most of the day. With a CYA of 30 I was burning through 4 plus FC a day. From information gleaned from the site I raised my CYA to 50 which brought my FC demand down to a more manageable level. I test early evening and add the chlorine so it is high overnight.

Beautiful pool by the way.

Yeah I am burning 5 FC a day, I have some intense western sun shining on my pool. Between that and the extremely weak chlorine, that was my problem. Everything is going great now. I’ll be glad when I can toss in my robot and switch to my SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.