zwats

Sep 8, 2018
ky
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
weve had the hot tub for about 4 years and no problems but about a month ago when i was in it in tripped at the circuit breaker. i reset it and it came back on. this time same thing happened but it will not come back on. i tried reseting the breaker but nothing. please help

.......i did finally get it back on by resetting the circuit breaker but what is causing this??

Last edited:
Probably water starting to leak into a motor or heater.

Be careful as GFCI tripping means the hot tub is becoming unsafe.

Something in your tub is electrically shorting or grounding, a pump motor is locking up or failing.
circuit breakers generally do not trip without reason & they're there for your safety.
If the tub has been there 4 years, I’m going to assume the wiring & breaker sizing isn’t an issue & most likely there’s a failed/failing component within the tub.

Z,

A little early at only 4 years old, but the first thing I would suspect is the heater... It has a heating eliminate or two that is in contact with the water. It does not take much breakdown of the insulation for there to be enough leakage current to trip the breaker.. It could be other stuff, but the heater is the main source of this problem.

You really do not want to use the tub until you have fixed the problem.

You can disconnect the wires going to the heater and then run the tub, without people, for a week and see of it ever pops the breaker.

Thanks,

Jim R.

i think i will call someone tomorrow. havent really used since original post and tonight it seemed to blow when all jets, heat pump, and lights were all on for awhile, but was fine with just lights heat pump and one set of jets on. i think its when everything is on at same time because its fine when its idle and not in use

Calling someone might be a good idea if you're not electrically inclined, but let me ask a couple of questions.

1) When you tried to reset the breaker did it trip immediately or did it take a second?
2) When you reset the breaker was there anything on in the tub? (pump, heater, blower, etc.)
3) How many times did you reset the handle before it held?

The reason I asked is if it's the GFCI section that's tripping it (immediate tripping, even before you get the handle fully reset) then you likely have a moisture issue somewhere. (And when it dried out some the breaker reset)
If the breaker was resetting and then tripping when you started the pump and/or heater, it could be a bad pump/heater or it could simply be a weakened breaker.

Calling someone might be a good idea if you're not electrically inclined, but let me ask a couple of questions.

1) When you tried to reset the breaker did it trip immediately or did it take a second?
2) When you reset the breaker was there anything on in the tub? (pump, heater, blower, etc.)
3) How many times did you reset the handle before it held?

The reason I asked is if it's the GFCI section that's tripping it (immediate tripping, even before you get the handle fully reset) then you likely have a moisture issue somewhere. (And when it dried out some the breaker reset)
If the breaker was resetting and then tripping when you started the pump and/or heater, it could be a bad pump/heater or it could simply be a weakened breaker.
after resetting it is fine (if i dont turn both jets on for long) and goes through prime cycle and starts up. it only seems to trip when both jets are on at same time for about 20 mins or so. it does not trip when both jets come on automatically because they are only on for a min or two

What amp breaker is it?

What make and model is the hot tub?

Look at the breaker for the amps and post a pic of the breaker.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
after resetting it is fine (if i dont turn both jets on for long) and goes through prime cycle and starts up. it only seems to trip when both jets are on at same time for about 20 mins or so. it does not trip when both jets come on automatically because they are only on for a min or two
This seems to me like the breaker is undersized, or the pumps are wearing out and drawing more current than they should.

it is a bullfrog x7 and amp breaker im not sure. it was hooked up by professionals and was running fine for 4 years
All breakers have the current rating on the breaker itself. For example, my clothes dryer breaker (the connected twin breaker) is a 30 amp breaker, and the kitchen outlet and side door light are 15 amp breakers.
IMG_20200118_135934168.jpg

So, it's worked fine for 4 years, no wiring or equipment has been changed, it works fine for a few minutes when both jets are on, it doesn't trip when only one jet is one no matter how long it's on.

It could be something else, but I'm still going with my initial feeling that it's a weak breaker.
It should be on a 50 amp circuit, and a 50 amp double pole GFCI breaker is pretty expensive. Otherwise I'd suggest just replacing the breaker and trying it to see if it held.

Do you have a friend that's an electrician? It would be great if you do and they could run an amp test on it while it's running.

If it trips from load its undersized Breaker so think “did you Add a LED light or hair dryer to that line of load?”

If its not the load its a ground ....

if the GFCI is not on the breaker.... in the home

its in the TUB UNIT

then to track down the issue remove one item at a time ....completely ...

its simple you have 5 things on that Line..

remove one at a time (and the ground)

if they do not have a plug then open the main box to the tub wires and (With power off) remove One item.... (and do not forget the ground)

once the breaker does not trip Its that device, or that wire To it (not often) be sure to remove the ground.,

also if your tub is not on a GFI breaker do that ASAP

the tubs must be proterected and i like it in the panel not in the tub box...

sorry for the delay, i appreciate all the help. I had someone come look at the hot tub and he said since it is tripping inside there is no issue with the hot tub. he ran it through a cycle and checked the temp of jets and the amps on it and it was fine. he said the breaker just needs replaced inside

Reactions: borjis
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.