TFP Guide
Oct 20, 2017
Southern WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Our Cal Spa came with a radio/CD player originally, and has 4 waterproof Sony speakers, one in each corner. At some point the display portion of the audio unit was removed by the previous owner. I finally contacted Cal Spas and they do not sell a replacement display for that tub anymore.

So the question is there anything special safety or otherwise with hot tub radios? I could pull out the old unit and make a mount for a regular aftermarket car or probably better yet a marine radio. I figure so long as it's powered via the factory 12 volt supply or an aftermarket spa rated 12 volt adapter it should be safe. The radio would be mounted under a flap on the outside of the spa, not directly accessible from a user in the spa. This seems safe to me, but am I missing anything?

Reactions: Mdragger88
J,

You could put a 12 volt radio in the water and it would be "safe".. Might not last long underwater, but it would not be a safety issue.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
I figured the safety part was all in the appropriately rated and isolated 12 volt power supply, not the radio, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Should I say, mounts under the skirt? Between the skirt and shell.
There's a smoked plastic flap in the skirt the pops up for access to the radio. The radio itself mounts between the skirt and shell, just to the right of the equipment bay.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.