Hoping not to drown-new owner of a pool

Here's what I have.. I also have the Aquarite salt control module, but I did t take a picture of it.. a swim lane is a cool idea - I just need to find another rubber stopper..
e62dacd5e7e2066b599edc00add47c47.jpg
760281601664c01cd81b337bfb62a292.jpg
b197615f9ef7815eed653fe13cdbb382.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So you only have the one pump..........Do you have valves you can turn to have the return running or those things running?

Rubber plug...........plumbing shop? Specialty area at Lowes or Home Depot?

How strong is the flow out of those holes?

Kim:kim:

Flow from the holes is about the same as the other jets. There is not a valve for those specific returns.

I'll keep a look out for a plug - that's going to be the easiest way to make it right :)

Did my first vacuum last night - much better. Still some leaves to get..

FC was 15 last night, after adding bleach. This morning it was 15. Looks like we are nearing completion of the SLAM.

After I get it completely clean and move to other levels, is there an ideal order of which to tackle?

Ok... all kidding aside, I would probably be ok with drinkingvthis, it's so clean looking!

I added some chlorine to ight, as I was down to 3.5ppm and hadn't read this yet :)

I programmed my timer to run from 8pm - 6am and again from 11am - 1pm. That is a total of twelve hours run time, which should be more than enough to filter the pool water once... if I understand right, that's the goal.

...i have also attached pictures...
13a84b145545eab67b4bc8ae5016076a.jpg
58c98b6e08d5d0d87785d63a9a7534fb.jpg
614d0dda35198b015c96a099cdd24863.jpg

Ok... all kidding aside, I would probably be ok with drinkingvthis, it's so clean looking!

I added some chlorine to ight, as I was down to 3.5ppm and hadn't read this yet :)

I programmed my timer to run from 8pm - 6am and again from 11am - 1pm. That is a total of twelve hours run time, which should be more than enough to filter the pool water once... if I understand right, that's the goal.

...i have also attached pictures...

You have come a long way and it looks much better. :D

What are those dark spots on the bottom in the pictures?
Based on your pics and the FC drop ~15 to 3.5ppm in one day, you may not be done with the SLAM yet. You will need to bring the FC back up to SLAM level for a bit longer. You should realistically only see 2-4ppm FC drop in a day unless the chlorine is still fighting the organics or you have almost zero CYA in your water. :confused:

You are VERY close but I don't think you are done. When you can read heads/tails on a coin at the bottom of the deep end THEN it is clear. And yes it can get that clear! If the wind is still you will think there is no water in the pool clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Came home and it is actually clearer. I can clearly see everything on the floor of the pool. Most of which is leaves that we haven't gotten up yet. I have a pool net on the way... that should help getting those out. My CYA is still less than 30, which I believe is why I lose so much chlorine each day...

I've run out of bleach and my 3 year old granddaughter is fussy, so I have to leave it where it is - 7.5ppm for now. I'll try to get more tomorrow. I'd hate to take a step backwards

Ok.. if I'm honest, I'm losing faith in this entire program at the moment. I feel like it's clear. I'll be removing leaves from the bottom with the new net I got sometime today... then brushing, again...

My CYA is still low, so I'm going through two jugs of bleach per day. So far, I've gone through around $75 in bleach...

Now, a girl at work with a similar size pool used 4 pounds of shock in her pool ($3/ea) and had clear water in 2 days... I know there is more in it than just bleach, but it would seem like that would be easier start, then use these methods to maintain...

So.. what am I missing? Why is the bleach method considered better? I'm around 2 weeks into this..

The girl at work spiked her CYA. She may look clear for now, but her pool is very likely not sanitary, and will not stay clear. You'll find her spending a ton of money shocking nearly weekly, if not weekly, going green more than once, blowing cash on algaecides, yellow out, and other pool store solutions, getting copper staining, spending hundreds more to try and sequester the copper, then finally draining her pool, spending hundreds of dollars on water and replacement chemicals due to what the pool store will call "chlorine lock". Then she'll start the process all over again, spending thousands and losing countless swimming hours to nasty green (or black, or yellow) algae. Your coworker may also have a different filter than yours, sand filters are great, but sometimes can struggle getting that last bit of fine-particulate cloudiness filtered out.

There are a number of folks on this site that haven't shocked in years. Not once. A few that might have spent a couple of days SLAMing to get rid of a problem because they noticed it off the bat. Numerous others haven't drained their pool in years.

The bleach is better simply because all it adds to the pool is salt and chlorine. That's it. You can get into the thousands of PPM of salt with no issues, and it will take years to reach that point. This versus solid chlorine which most often has CYA, which builds up and makes the chlorine less and less effective - and that buildup happens in a single season. More rarely solid chlorine has calcium in it, which also builds up, forcing a drain in a single season and causing all kinds of lovely hard water scale that you get to spend your weekends trying to scrub off of the tiles, water features, etc (especially if you already have hard water).

The first SLAM to get your pool in order usually takes the longest. This is unfortunate because it's the new folks that have to do this, and they don't have the benefit of years of easy and inexpensive maintenance to draw upon to understand the value of TFP.
If you keep up with your pool from here on out, you'll find you don't have to do this again. If something goes wrong down the road, future SLAMs, since you'll be keeping an eye on your chemistry and won't let things get out of hand, will likely resolve in a matter of a day or three, maybe a week depending.

I have lots of friends that go the pool store route, with a guy (or gal) that shows up once a week to dump a bunch of shock into the pool and maybe look at the pH. Their pools are often cloudy, usually green at least a couple of times during the season, and for this privilege, they get to spend $100/month or more. I spend around $18-20 for bleach each month, and that's the sum of my maintenance costs.

The best part is, looking at your pictures, you're so close to being done. The water is still a bit cloudy, but that should resolve very soon assuming your algae is dead.

So let's address that and do a quick SLAM review here to make sure we're not missing something:
Your CYA is still less than 30. Do you know how much less? Is it not registering, or registering less than 20? When is the last time you tested CYA?
What have you been maintaining your chlorine level at consistently, and how often are you testing and raising it?

Finally - a clear TFP Pool:
TFPClearWeb.jpg

Nothing but bleach, CYA, and occasional muriatic acid to keep the pH in check.

:hug: Have you see her pool? It might be "clear" to her but I bet it is not TFP clear.

She went short term............you are going long term. Like Trip said she will end up with a pool that will cost more and not be as clear as yours in the end.

Good Evening Everyone!!

OK - Crisis of Faith is subsiding... I was able to spend a little more time with my pool today. I am going to attempt to maintain the 10ppm of Chlorine, but have decided to raise my CYA, as having a non-existent reading doesn't make sense to me. It seems like that may be counter-productive as it allows for so much UV destruction of the chlorine that I need to clear up the pool... I added all I had left from the 4 pound bucket I had gotten at Leslies and it has not raised my CYA over 30. In fact, my CYA is still under 30, as I could still see the dot at the bottom of the tube. However, there was a slight distortion of the dot, so I think I am getting somewhere.

I also have added salt to the pool to bring it up to where I feel like I could potentially start using the SWG in tandem with everything else, so that I can have a little less investment in bleach, while I am working on getting it clear..
ying in
I had a crystal pool before brushing today! I'll post those pictures shortly...

So, here is my current question... I am looking at making some Amazon purchases of chemicals for the pool. It seems like buying in large quantities is better from a cost perspective. However, I may (or may not) use all of it in a short time frame. I have space in my utility closet in the house to store the larger containers (climate controlled).... Do these chemicals (CYA, Calcium Chloride, etc) have an expiration date?

Thanks for your help on this... I am trying to be patient...

Ok.. if I'm honest, I'm losing faith in this entire program at the moment. I feel like it's clear. I'll be removing leaves from the bottom with the new net I got sometime today... then brushing, again...

My CYA is still low, so I'm going through two jugs of bleach per day. So far, I've gone through around $75 in bleach...

You say it's clear, but the next sentence says you have leaves in the bottom. Those two are contradictory statements. Your bleach isn't just having to work the algae. You are forcing it to eat through other organics because you haven't gotten all the stuff off the bottom.
I know you are trying hard. In order to make it go quicker, try to keep all the stuff out of the water.

Try not to be discouraged, it does work.

You say it's clear, but the next sentence says you have leaves in the bottom. Those two are contradictory statements. Your bleach isn't just having to work the algae. You are forcing it to eat through other organics because you haven't gotten all the stuff off the bottom.
I know you are trying hard. In order to make it go quicker, try to keep all the stuff out of the water.

Try not to be discouraged, it does work.

^^^ This is an important piece of the puzzle that I was not clear on early in this process. We have been brushing the entire time and vacuuming after we got where we could see what we were doing with the vacuum head. Once it got clear enough to see the leaves, we put a lot of effort into getting leaves out with a skimmer net (doesn't work very well). Just recently, we received our pool net and that is what was used today to remove the remaining leaves.

I want to be clear that I am posting questions and being as clear about what we have gone through in an effort to help others who look into this. My hopes are to allow them to really understand this process, as it seems like most of the threads I read before hand had some information, but once people got a handle on the processes (adding bleach, testing with the test kit, etc) they stopped updating their threads. My plan is to keep this updated until the final product is as expected.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.