Hoping not to drown-new owner of a pool

Do you happen to have a main drain on the bottom of the pool? If so I hope there is a valve on your equipment where you can shut that off so it only drains from the skimmer.

We will work our way through this puzzle. Keep giving me of the pieces as you see them.

Kim:kim:

So... here are some progress pics... my timer shut the filter off at some point today, so it's all settled...
69b5d7b1e284f8a592f0cd813f5bfe34.jpg
829fd4e3091422bdb1aa0df737d8782c.jpg
3a47226a4cd24b3f014ae48ed24908ad.jpg
a4ed21874ee3291cde13b532f36bb0dd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Now... the frustrating part... here are tonight's readings:

FC - 3
CC - present
pH - 7.0
TA - 60
CH - 70
CYA - 0

I added 48oz of cyanuric acid 2 days ago and once again, I can see all the way to the black dot with minimal distortion...

We've tried to stay on top of backwash and refill process, which I know will drop some of the CYA, but that much??

My big worry is that it got backwashed out :( I put mine in a sock and hang it over the side of the pool in front of a return. That way it goes straight into the water instead of through the sand on the way to the water. I think I am going to "push" sand filter owners to do it that way just for this very reason. I am sorry I did not tell you to do it that way. :(

I like how the water is looking! You are making good progress. It will be a jewel of a pool in short order! :sun:

Kim -

The odd thing is that I actually did use the sock in front of a return method... I started by putting it in the skimmer, but it didn't seem to really be doing much, so I put the sock over the side of the pool, in front of the jet and left it over night. It was mostly gone the next morning... That evening I was around a 30... My pH has dropped to a 7.0...

That said, here is some good news - I think... After adding bleach last night and waiting about an hour, my FC was 14ppm. This morning, before the sun came up this morning I checked it and my FC is at 13ppm. So, I only lost 1ppm overnight... So I think the water is reasonably clean (at least there is nothing alive in it).

That said, I have a few more questions:
1. As the pool passed OCLT, but is still cloudy, do I keep the FC at shock level of 10ppm, or is now the time to adjust it down to the 3-4ppm associated with the SWG?
2. Regarding the other levels, what order do I follow in adjusting, as I know changing one will likely effect another. Is this right?
a. Salt
b. CYA
c. pH
d. TA
e. CH

As I adjust one of these levels, is it appropriate to anticipate that I should wait 30-45 minutes between adding the chemicals and testing to see how it looks?

Finally, on the cloudiness I see in the deep end - is that just a matter of continuing to brush/filter the pool and wait for the sand to filter out whatever is causing the cloudiness? Is FLOC necessary, or will the chlorine itself clear this??

So far, this has been a reasonably easy experience. I am actually enjoying seeing the changes...

There are 3 critera for stopping the SLaM:
1) Clear water (No algae or other debris)
2) 1ppm or less FC loss overnight (OCLT)
3) 0.5ppm or less CC

You are still waiting on #1 so there really isn't a need to look at #2 or #3.

You are currently at the hardest part for most folks. It's what I consider the most critical part. Any cloudiness represents algae that is still holding on. If you were to stop the SLaM now, you would be restarting it in a very short period of time. You need to keep at it. Keep fighting the good fight. Soon you will be clear and can then look at the next steps.

That's what I needed... c9nfirmation that this is "normal". There was no CC this morning when u checked, but that seems to come and go...

Let me pose this question: should I worry about pH at this point? Last time I added CYA, it dropped my pH from 8+ to 7.0

I would expect that more CYA is going to lower it more... will this impact the effectiveness of the chlorine?

Really, while you are SLaMming, the only level we worry about the FC. You just keep that at the proper level as often as you can and not worry too much about the rest until you complete the SLaM.

The pH test is effected by the elevated level FC during a SLaM so it's readings aren't reliable.

Checked FC this morning and we are doing good with an 11ppm reading. After work yesterday, I could see the floor of the deep end - just barely.

Brushed the pool, backwashed the filter and added a little bleach. There's still some cloudiness, so we have a few more days of this, I believe.

I can tell I'm getting close!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Still feeling like there is progress. We broke out pool brush the other day in an accident, so I have one on its way to be delivered today. I also have a 100 pack of hair nets and a vacuum attachment plate coming soon.

That said, I can see the dirt that is settled in the deep end, though it is not clear yet - we are getting close.

I am tracking the number of days, as well as the amount of chlorine used, so I can update at the conclusion, how much time the SLAM took and how much bleach I've used...

Do you happen to have a main drain on the bottom of the pool? If so I hope there is a valve on your equipment where you can shut that off so it only drains from the skimmer.

We will work our way through this puzzle. Keep giving me of the pieces as you see them.

Kim - Now that I can see to the bottom of the pool, there is a main drain at the bottom. It has a good amount of leaves/debris around it, but is not very heavily covered. I do have two pvc pipes with valves that lead to the filter/pump. I will try shutting each off one at a time, to determine which one changes the behavior of the skimmer. The other one should be the main drain valve, right??

OK - if the above is correct (which I believe it is)... I have identified the skimmer valve, as well as the drain valve. I can see how cleaning the deep end will be easier if the leaves are not being sucked against the drain. Also, I would guess the vacuum through the skimmer will work better if the drain valve is shut...

Ok.. another question -- there appear to be vent holes for 2 of my jets in the shallow end. One has a rubber plug (pictured), while the other does not. If the pool is over-full there is no issue. However, if the water level is halfway up the skimmer, there are bubbles from the one without the plug. Where do I find another plug? Are these supposed to be open?
f71018c45107f6075d4b9a8b15bfa479.jpg
c63329da008e468a42126c3805bfcebc.jpg
9fb99943c77b4110cbdf9c8bfac46d2a.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.