Hoping not to drown-new owner of a pool

This is what we started with this morning. There are no longer any leaves in it...
d6badc45b05880744b30bc863b51b0b8.jpg
335d5a4df51d12fa1181260cb1539565.jpg

It's all part of your adventure and story. I don't think anyone is being critical of you, but just offering advice to help you get your pool cleared up. We want to to be done as soon as possible so that you can enjoy the fruits of your labor.
We're not in it for the money, only your enjoyment!!

Pool is looking great!!

Those nets do make a big difference in helping to get that stuff up! Good job!

That water is looking SO much better!

Thanks for keeping your thread going to help others in the future! That will be a good thing for others as they come along! :hug:

Kim:kim:

It's been a busy couple days, but here's what I have now... lots if dirt that we seem to stir up, just to have it settle back.. I'm going to run this vacuum thing tonight and tomorrow, as it seems to be working reasonably well. I'll manually vacuum next time the weather and schedule is conducive...
d69d3ca20f751f144397f12416533e70.jpg
21e1fd5076931f42af1842a9fc94fe0b.jpg

So I ordered pool chemicals the other day, to be prepared for when my SLAM is concluded... I knew I would need a substantial amount of CYA, as mine is very low. Additionally, my Calcium Hardness is extremely low, so I ordered some of increaser for that as well. I have a jug of Muriatic Acid and a huge box of Baking Soda...

I have added all but one bag of salt to the pool to get it mixed up and have raised my salt to 3000ppm per the Taylor Salt test. I then turned on my SWG and have let it run for a little more than a day. It shows around 2700-2800ppm by

its readings. From what I have read, it is not uncommon to have a difference there. I'll likely add the last bag that I have to the pool today, which should bring my salt to around 3300-3400ppm by the Taylor test, but will put it in range for the Aqua Rite unit - YAY!

The reason I decided to put the SWG on is that, while there is an electrical cost to running it in tandem with the filter - I figured if the pool is reasonably clear, this will help me to keep my SLAM levels more consistently. It has worked. Running my generator at 80% is keeping my loss via UV at a reasonably low level (1-2ppm) during the day. This is keeping my chlorine levels at 8+ for most of the time, which is then leveled up to 10 with just a little bleach before bedtime.

I brushed the pool last night, pushing the dirt toward the drain - this was an eye opening tip that a colleague at work told me. To be honest, I felt stupid that I had been just randomly brushing the bottom to mix it all up, but had not brushed toward anything - expecting the filter/skimmer system to eventually filter out the dirt appropriately... I will continue that effort in the evenings over the next few days. I also very likely will be using the manual vacuum a few more times.

The water does appear to be getting clearer - which I did not think possible after seeing it sparkle last weekend. I don't know that I will ever actually know what a "clear pool" looks like, as this looks as good as any pool I have ever been in... but it seems to get better each few days.

Great news! Love to hear about sparkling water. :thumleft:

The water can get so clear that if you aren't careful, you may think it's leaked out. :)

No harm in using SWG to assist with SLAM, just remember that they have a 'life' related to the amount of chlorine they can produce.

When it comes time to do the OCLT, make sure you have turned the SWG off so you can get an accurate measurement of loss.

Great news! Love to hear about sparkling water. :thumleft:

The water can get so clear that if you aren't careful, you may think it's leaked out. :)

No harm in using SWG to assist with SLAM, just remember that they have a 'life' related to the amount of chlorine they can produce.

When it comes time to do the OCLT, make sure you have turned the SWG off so you can get an accurate measurement of loss.

I will definitely turn off the SWG when I do the "official" OCLT - just to be sure. I have conducted OCLT two or three times with loss of 1ppm or less. The issue is that when I post pictures, I get told my water is not yet clear... hence, still SLAMming. I am honestly not concerned that the OCLT will be an issue :)

At this point, I figured that raising CYA will help me to keep the FC where I want it with less UV loss. I have been operating around 0 CYA for most of this SLAM.. so I have to get that up a little to help with getting the clarity to come around... I'll get it to 30-40 for the remainder of the SALM, then raise to 70-80 when the SLAM is completed.

Will Calcium Hardness impact the SALM at all? I have already received those chemicals and was considering adding, as the CH in my pool is around 60, but for an SWG, the recommended level is around 400... if it will have an impact to the SLAM, I will wait... but if it is not going to make a difference, I am considering adding now. The only real concern would be backwashing the chemicals out when the filter is cleaned, right??

We've had rain in Oklahoma last night and more rolling in now. I went out to check the pool and I think it's gotten clearer... then, I went to check water pressure at the filter - I'm still good there... but while there, I looked down at the pump... looks like there is no water in the pump.

So I shut off the pump, hoping to avoid any damage... and then I see small bubbles at the top of the view window... I'd say that's pretty clear!

Now I don't want to stop the SLAM, because I don't want to risk that it could potentially get clearer...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great progress so far. I quickly skimmed over all your posts in this thread. I see you've been at it for almost a month & didn't notice any discussion about your filter.
How often are you backwashing & what pressure do you have before & after?
Have you tried deep cleaning the filter?
Have you tried adding a little DE to the filter?

Pressure is typically around 20psi after backwash. Any time it hits 30psi, I backwash. Regarding deep clean - I only learned about this a few days ago. I've been torn on if I want to tear it apart to do that. Partially because it is a little intimidating and partly because it's been working.

I haven't added RE, though I considered it. It's really quite clear at this point, so I think I'm close enough that I just need to be patient.

Realistically, over the last week, I haven't needed to backwash but twice - the pressure is not building as quickly as before, when I would backwash nearly daily.

I do feel like I am nearing completion :) I just don't want to be hasty...

Look at that progress! I SO hear you on not wanting to take an chances with a backslide! Keep it up and you will look out one day and not see any water in your pool! It will be there but will be so clear you cannot see it! :sun:

DUDE! That looks like a jewel! SWEET!

When you add the CYA put it in a sock and hang it in front of a return with the pump on. You can squeeze the sock to help speed it up.

I've added CYA a few times... I think most if it got lost in backwashes. I have 32oz in a sock at the moment and will squeeze as time permits. Lots to do today, but the pool has had leaves removed and been brushed, added CYA, added my last bag of salt and plugged that odd, unexplained hole to eliminate bubbles...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.