Hole in the liner in the deep end. Caused from Muriatic Acid?

bronwynsmom24

Apr 4, 2021
Oxford, Alabama
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
I bought my house with a pool in October 2020. Last Friday I had my pool converted to salt water. I've been trying to get the Chemicals balanced out and today I came home to a huge hole in my liner at the deep end. It wasn't there yesterday evening. Sunday, I vacuumed really well bc I had to treat for yellow algae. That night I added 12 bags of salt (first time putting salt in) and Liquid Chlorine. Monday my Chlorine was 0 so I added stabilizer to the skimmer very slowly (4lbs) then a hr or so later I added muriatic acid to lower the PH bc it was over 8. I'm not sure the exact PH bc my Taylor test kit said if the test turned purple, it was too high. Then a couple hours later I added 3 gallons on Liquid chlorine. Tested yesterday and PH was in normal range. Chlorine was a little high but not bad. Then today, this is what I came home to. Idk how or why, unless it was caused from the acid.. I really have no idea what I'm doing. I'm a first time pool owner😭. Can Acid cause the liner to do this?

Attachments

• 20210414_192002.jpg
    20210414_192002.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 125
  • 20210414_184116.jpg
    20210414_184116.jpg
    843.9 KB · Views: 121
How deep is your deep end, and how much MA did you add? Did you dump it in at once or pour slowly in front of return jet?

I‘m concerned that you are adding chems to your pool without knowing what your chem numbers are, but unless you dumped a bunch of acid in one spot with no circulation, I’m not sure it could cause damage like that. You mentioned vacuuming due to algae - how do you vacuum your pool?

I would also like to know how you added the salt and chlorine. I just noticed you added 4 pounds of stabilizer to your skimmer, then the MA. We don’t recommend adding the stabilizer directly to the skimmer, as it takes a while to dissolve. What kind of filter do you have?

Is that a flap of vinyl? It’s really hard to tell by the picture, but it almost looks like a patch that’s peeling off.
I'm not really sure. A diver is coming tomorrow to patch it and I'm sure he will be able to tell me then, but if it was a patch, it sure looked perfect before bc I couldn't tell it

Reactions: Orion7319
So, we really need to help you get a handle on running tests properly and adding chems properly. What Taylor kit do you have? If you put all your details in your signature it will help us to assist you.

How deep is your deep end, and how much MA did you add? Did you dump it in at once or pour slowly in front of return jet?

I‘m concerned that you are adding chems to your pool without knowing what your chem numbers are, but unless you dumped a bunch of acid in one spot with no circulation, I’m not sure it could cause damage like that. You mentioned vacuuming due to algae - how do you vacuum your pool?

I would also like to know how you added the salt and chlorine. I just noticed you added 4 pounds of stabilizer to your skimmer, then the MA. We don’t recommend adding the stabilizer directly to the skimmer, as it takes a while to dissolve. What kind of filter do you have?
Deep end is 8ft deep and I poured slowly in front of the return jet. I put the bottle down in the water and tilted it to pour as close to the water as possible. Pump was running. Honestly, I didn't measure I just poured from the bottle but it wasn't a whole lot.
I did check my numbers before adding anything. My CYA was at 30, and when I checked last night it was up to 60.
I vacuumed to waste, with a pole and vaccum thing.
I added the salt to the shallow end a few bags at a time and brushed to dissolve before adding more. Salt was at 2200 when I tested last night so I know I need to add more, and a going to today until I saw the hole.. then an hr later or so, I poured liquid chlorine by the return jet in the deep end.
I have a sand filter.

Adding acid to your pool did not do that to your liner.

Most likely suspect is either a patch that has come loose, or something was there when you vacuumed or brushed that cut it.

Reactions: bronwynsmom24
Ok, from what you describe, although it isn’t optimum to add chemicals without knowing where you are and exactly what to add, I don’t see how your additions as described could have eaten your liner. So, I wonder if Orion is right and there was a patch there that was disturbed by the vacuuming.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Adding acid to your pool did not do that to your liner.

Most likely suspect is either a patch that has come loose, or something was there when you vacuumed or brushed that cut it.
Maybe it is a patch that came loose. I really have no idea bc the hole just appeared today

Once you get the rip repaired, have a look at The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry (linked in my signature). Also, I highly recommend that you download the Pool Math app. It will be super helpful in telling you exactly what needs to be added to your pool, based on your test results.

Once you get the rip repaired, have a look at The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry (linked in my signature). Also, I highly recommend that you download the Pool Math app. It will be super helpful in telling you exactly what needs to be added to your pool, based on your test results.
I have the app and went by their calculations for adding things. I will definitely read the ABC's again. Thank you!!

Reactions: kellyfair
Ok, from what you describe, although it isn’t optimum to add chemicals without knowing where you are and exactly what to add, I don’t see how your additions as described could have eaten your liner. So, I wonder if Orion is right and there was a patch there that was disturbed by the vacuuming.
It is possible. I didn't think of that but I also never noticed it. It looked perfect. I guess the diver should be able to tell me tomorrow. I'm glad it wasn't the chemicals bc I was thinking I REALLY messed up.

It is possible. I didn't think of that but I also never noticed it. It looked perfect. I guess the diver should be able to tell me tomorrow. I'm glad it wasn't the chemicals bc I was thinking I REALLY messed up
Consider this a wake-up call! 😉
For sure. I've been following threads on here and I'm in a group on FB that goes by the guidelines here. I thought I was doing everything right (or at least learning how).. It's so overwhelming 😭😭 I'll get it though, eventually

It is possible. I didn't think of that but I also never noticed it. It looked perfect. I guess the diver should be able to tell me tomorrow. I'm glad it wasn't the chemicals bc I was thinking I REALLY messed up.
As others have said, as little acid as you added there is no way it would have done that. Adding several gallons at once when the pumps not running...possibly but I would think it would also cause wrinkles. I’m thinking it’s possibly a patch just because you said it seemingly appeared out of nowhere. The glue on the patches does not hold forever from my understanding.

As others have said, as little acid as you added there is no way it would have done that. Adding several gallons at once when the pumps not running...possibly but I would think it would also cause wrinkles. I’m thinking it’s possibly a patch just because you said it seemingly appeared out of nowhere. The glue on the patches does not hold forever from my understanding.
I hope that's what it is. I'll be scared to add acid again if it isn't.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.