High phosphates question

SCpoolgirl

Jun 15, 2020
South Carolina
This may be a dumb question. I had a high copper level (over 1 ppm) and a copper stain (vinyl liner) from too much copper algaecide. I added various metal remover products and used a Culator bag and finally got rid of the stain and the copper level is now showing 0.1 ppm. My problem now is that the metal remover products I used have resulted in a phosphate level over 4000! Luckily, I don’t have any algae yet, so I want to use a phosphate remover. My question is: I know that any copper remaining in the pool over the 0.1 level showing is sequestered by the metal remover. If I get rid of the phosphates, will this cause the sequestered copper to “fall out” and stain my pool liner again?

Phosphates do not chelate (sequester) metal ions. So if you remove phosphates, it won’t affect the metal ions. Metal sequestering agents are phosphonate compounds (HEDP) and those are unaffected by phosphate removers.

So the short answer is - you should be all good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.