pouyan_afshin

May 11, 2020
San Diego
Hi Pool experts :):

I have a quartzite surface pool (25K gallon). I am keeping my Alkalinity between 60-80. The problem I have is that I feel like I am adding a lot of dry acid every month to the pool. I actually finish 50 lb of dry acid every month. I am not sure if this is too much, or this is the expectation for such large pool. I do not use chlorine tablets to prevent CYN to raise, but the problem with liquid Chlorine is that it is basic, so when I add it to the pool, PH will go up, and every other day I have to add acid again. Specially in this hot summer, I lose Chlorine much faster, so have to add Chlorine and acid next.

Two questions: (1) Should I keep the Alkalinity level 60-80, or 80-120 is the right number? I think I saw on your website that I should keep it 60-80. (2) Would you please recommend a solution to my high acid usage problem?

Thanks
Pouyan

Last edited:
What type of pool do you have? That much dry acid could be doing great damage to your pool surface and equipment.

Fill out your signature --

Liquid chlorine does not raise the pH of the pool water. Aeration and high TA fill water does.

I have a spa like yours and my PH goes up, I have a hard time keeping mine down.
I was using dry acid but read here it's not good to use over time so converted to liquid. Just bought 2 gallons of Pool acid for $12 at HomeDepot

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Pool experts :):

I have a quartzite surface pool (25K gallon). I am keeping my Alkalinity between 60-80. The problem I have is that I feel like I am adding a lot of dry acid every month to the pool. I actually finish 50 lb of dry acid every month. I am not sure if this is too much, or this is the expectation for such large pool. I do not use chlorine tablets to prevent CYN to raise, but the problem with liquid Chlorine is that it is basic, so when I add it to the pool, PH will go up, and every other day I have to add acid again. Specially in this hot summer, I lose Chlorine much faster, so have to add Chlorine and acid next.

Two questions: (1) Should I keep the Alkalinity level 60-80, or 80-120 is the right number? I think I saw on your website that I should keep it 60-80. (2) Would you please recommend a solution to my high acid usage problem?

Thanks
Pouyan
Pouyan,

Welcome to TFP! I'm trying to understand the problem instead of the question. I don't understand why you prefer to add dry acid instead of MA? As Marty said above liquid chlorine doesn't change the pH appreciably after it reacts. It's the aeration reactions that cause pH to climb. I limit the time it runs but my wife likes to hear and see it run. I think almost all of us have to add acid. I do the same thing as Mark. Lowering your TA will help. But I'd stay away from the dry acid.

Chris

I have a spa like yours and my PH goes up, I have a hard time keeping mine down.
I was using dry acid but read here it's not good to use over time so converted to liquid. Just bought 2 gallons of Pool acid for $12 at HomeDepot
Thanks for the suggestion. I can also have the valve set in a way in which the majority of water returns to the pool and just a little bit returns to the Spa, so when it falls to the pool, it does not mix a lot of air in, due to low pressure. I am just worried that way I start developing Algae in the Spa.

Thanks for the suggestion. I can also have the valve set in a way in which the majority of water returns to the pool and just a little bit returns to the Spa, so when it falls to the pool, it does not mix a lot of air in, due to low pressure. I am just worried that way I start developing Algae in the Spa.
What equipment do you have? Any automation? Ideally, you should close that valve completely and program a spillover schedule from your automation for 30-60 mins a day.

Pouyan,

Welcome to TFP! I'm trying to understand the problem instead of the question. I don't understand why you prefer to add dry acid instead of MA? As Marty said above liquid chlorine doesn't change the pH appreciably after it reacts. It's the aeration reactions that cause pH to climb. I limit the time it runs but my wife likes to hear and see it run. I think almost all of us have to add acid. I do the same thing as Mark. Lowering your TA will help. But I'd stay away from the dry acid.

Chris
Thanks Chris. I used dry acid because it is just easier to handle, that is the only reason.

Great -- put that in your signature.

Dry acid is Sodium Bisulfate. The Sulfate stays in the pool water. Once it builds to a certain concentration, it starts to destroy your Quartz finish. I would stop using it now. And drain off water at every convenience to lower the level in the pool water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.