CFWilliams

Jul 13, 2020
Charlotte, NC
Hi friends- we are getting the polar vortex weather that everyone else is and it is about 20 degrees (was lower this morning). I just noticed that our pool was nearly overflowing but our spa is almost empty!!! I have no idea what happened or what is going on or what I’m supposed to do to fix it. The pump
Is running and there is water pouring into the spa but I can’t tell if it’s filling back up. Never seen this before and don’t know what I’m supposed to do. Any guidance greatly appreciated. We have an “anti-freeze” system that kicks the pump on whenever the temp drops but I’m not sure how it works or how to check if it is working properly. We inherited this godforsaken pool and it continues to be the bane of my existence. Apologies in advance for the Scrooge attitude on Christmas Eve.

CF,

I suspect your automation turned on freeze protect which switchs between the pool mode and the spa mode every 30 minutes or so.

Sometimes this works great, but sometimes it does not. Any delay in the valve moving exactly at the same time will often cause some of the spa water to drain into the pool. Over time it gets worse and worse.

Not much you can do now but keep an eye on it until our freezing weather passes.

Show us some pics of your equipment pad and you might get some better answers.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ok. It’s doing it again. I do have aqua link but I can’t figure out where freeze protect is. When I turned on the PDA is had spa mode on so does that mean freeze mode is on?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    594.6 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    675.1 KB · Views: 16
Ok. It’s doing it again. I do have aqua link but I can’t figure out where freeze protect is. When I turned on the PDA is had spa mode on so does that mean freeze mode is on?
Your picture shows the suction valve in the proper position to pull water from the spa, but the return valve is sending water to both the pool and spa. That will cause the spa to drain.

Be sure the return-valve actuator is functioning. There is a small 3-way toggle switch on each actuator. Be sure the actuator on the left (return) in the picture is not set in the middle (off) position. Also, with the suction valve in the position it is in (spa), the return-valve handle should be pointing to the 9 o'clock position so that all the water coming from the spa is returned to the spa. Flip the switch so that the handle moves in that direction. That is the proper "spa mode" configuration of the valves. If it doesn't move the actuator may have failed.

Reactions: bradgray
Also see discussion in thread below regarding valve cycling.

Your picture shows the suction valve in the proper position to pull water from the spa, but the return valve is sending water to both the pool and spa. That will cause the spa to drain.

Be sure the return-valve actuator is functioning. There is a small 3-way toggle switch on each actuator. Be sure the actuator on the left (return) in the picture is not set in the middle (off) position. Also, with the suction valve in the position it is in (spa), the return-valve handle should be pointing to the 9 o'clock position so that all the water coming from the spa is returned to the spa. Flip the switch so that the handle moves in that direction. That is the proper "spa mode" configuration of the valves. If it doesn't move the actuator may have failed.
Hi there- I believe our actuator failed bc the spa drains any time I turn spa mode on. The spa return valve doesn’t move at all, actually. Can I buy the part and install it fairly easily or should I call a professional? I am pretty handy but don’t know all the ins and outs of the equipment back there…

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.