Help with signature & confirm I'm on the right path...

mack81

Silver Supporter
Mar 26, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
Per suggestion on the intro forum posting here:

Purchased the house in January so pool was closed and I've no pool experience whatsoever.
Been reading on here for a week or so now and have developed a plan to begin - I guess some confirmation that I'm on the right track would be awesome!

1. Read though Pool School articles
2. Ordered TF-100 Test Kit
3. Had already scheduled the pool opening after moving in (per recommendation from a friend as they book up fast), they're coming next week. As I know nothing I am planning to have them open the pool and I will maintain it per TFP methods thereafter. Is there anything I should have them do/not do when they open?
4. I plan to get a solar cover, we have a lot of trees in the yard hoping it helps with leaves etc.
5. Once opened I plan to SLAM the pool using liquid chlorine per the article and then follow the Pool Math App to maintain levels going forward.

Am I on the right track - any advice appreciated!

For my TFP signature (see pics):
I don't know anything about the pool or equipment I have (in ground).
A. There is a big brownish Hayward box (which I am guessing is a heater, and looks like there's a gas line running to it)
B. A Barrel shaped device beside it which says its a sand filter.
C. A smaller cylinder inline of the pipe running into that.
D. A small pump in front.
E. There is some vinyl in the garage that looks like it could be left over cuts from relining the pool, so I am guessing that is the liner I have.
F. As for size I guess I will measure it and calculate the volume once the cover is off - is that what people do?

Thanks for all the info on there!
M

Attachments

• IMG-1225.jpg
    IMG-1225.jpg
    825.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG-1224.jpg
    IMG-1224.jpg
    644.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG-1223.jpg
    IMG-1223.jpg
    617.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG-1222.jpg
    IMG-1222.jpg
    883.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG-1221.jpg
    IMG-1221.jpg
    666.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG-1220.jpg
    IMG-1220.jpg
    911.2 KB · Views: 18
A. There is a big brownish Hayward box (which I am guessing is a heater, and looks like there's a gas line running to it)
B. A Barrel shaped device beside it which says its a sand filter.
C. A smaller cylinder inline of the pipe running into that.
D. A small pump in front.
E. There is some vinyl in the garage that looks like it could be left over cuts from relining the pool, so I am guessing that is the liner I have.
F. As for size I guess I will measure it and calculate the volume once the cover is off - is that what people do?

A-heater-looks like it is gas or propane. Do you have a gas meter or propane tank?

B-Sand filter-Here is how to deep clean it: Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter I would go ahead and this so it is ready when you are. You WILL get wet so get ready for that!

C. is a tablet/puck holder-open it BUT do have have your face right over it just in case there is something in there. Are there any chemicals laying around from before?

D-that is a good pump. Look up it's manual for how to program it!

E. I bet you are right. They might have left is just in case you need to patch in the future. Put it up and a safe place with all of your pool stuff.

F. size.....Yeah we need it open to measure it and do the math.

A couple of things I am not sure what they are like that rectangle box with the toggle switches on it. I will call in a couple of more eyes to see what their thoughts are. @ajw22 @jimmythegreek

Kim:kim:

Reactions: mack81
The heater is not hooked up to the water flow and is just a yard sculpture.

My WAG is the box with toggle switches is for some lights. Where does the wire go that leaves the bottom of the pic?

Good point about the heater not being hooker up. I wonder is this disconnected for winterizing? I hope the guys who open the pool can evaluate it.

The wire just goes into the ground, so it may be lights like you say.

So considering I have the puck holder contraption should I get pucks instead of liquid chlorine? (Can you get pucks that are just chlorine and don't raise CYA? OR are all pucks Trichlor by default?)

Nevermind, found my answer, so I should continue with my plan to just liquid chlorine.

Last edited:
Good point about the heater not being hooker up. I wonder is this disconnected for winterizing? I hope the guys who open the pool can evaluate it.

You don't disconnect the heater for winterization. And you have no pipes to connect the heater to. That heater was eliminated from the pool system and left there as a lawn ornament.

So considering I have the puck holder contraption should I get pucks instead of liquid chlorine? (Can you get pucks that are just chlorine and don't raise CYA? OR are all pucks Trichlor by default?)

All solid chlorine has undesirable chemicals added. Chlorine is a gas and to make it a tablet it needs a solid chemical to bind to. TriChlor & DiChlor use CYA while Cal-Hypo uses calcium. You can only use solid chlorine products for a limited time before the CYA or calcium accumulate to undesirable levels.

Last edited:
Reactions: mack81
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.