Help with Pump and Filter hose leaks

Ryfq

May 13, 2018
Hendersonville, TN
Hello all. First post, although I've been a member for a few years. Love this site. Graduated from Intex pools this year to a "real" above ground pool. Installed everything ourselves thanks to lots of reading through forums on this site and beyond. We have a Hydrotools pump and cartridge filter combo (model#71906). Followed what instruction there were with the pump to the letter (Teflon tape on all screw-in/ screw-on fittings). It seems we have leaks at almost every connection. I'm planning to try to re-tape all of the screw connections, but I'm a bit baffled by the hose connections. There are no gaskets of any sort. It's just plastic hose connecting to PVC by hose clamp. All of these connections are leaking and it makes sense logically that they would. But it seems from my research that most people do not have this problem. What am I missing? What should I do differently? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0820.JPG
    IMG_0820.JPG
    346.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4296.JPG
    IMG_4296.JPG
    407.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4643.JPG
    IMG_4643.JPG
    532.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6056.JPG
    IMG_6056.JPG
    371.9 KB · Views: 24
Welcome to TFP! :wave: So the instructions said to use Teflon tape. How many wraps did you apply to each threaded fitting?

Thanks for the reply. The first round, I did 3 layers. The second round, I did 2 layers. It seems improved, but still a constant drip from the largest connection between the pump and filter.
Update: I stole some rubber washer rings from our old Intex system and used them on the gray hoses. This got them to stop leaking, but I still wonder if I'm missing something. That shouldn't be the answer...

This got them to stop leaking, but I still wonder if I'm missing something. That shouldn't be the answer...
That is odd, but good to hear you got control of the leaks for now. Hopefully another member with similar equipment will reply with some ideas.

On the hose clamp fittings, assuming you have the hose and clamps positioned properly, you just need to get a nut driver and really tighten the clamp up. I think it would’ve been hard to get mine tight enough with just a screw driver.

I used Oatley Great White sealant on my threaded fittings, I still had a little trouble getting them to seal. I was scared to over tighten them, but a good turn after fully hand tightened did the trick on all but one. Had one on the suction side start a slight leak again after vacuuming, going to give that one another 1/4-1/2 turn tonight and hopefully I’ll finally be done.

Thanks everyone. I may try the sealant on the threads. My plan is definitely to hard plumb everything soon. But wanted to be able to get things going in the meantime. Once I get around to the plumbing, it will be a about a 40 foot run of PVC. Is 2" PVC overkill for my setup? It's a 1.5 HP pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.