Help with new pump selection

Jun 17, 2018
Warren
I have a 2 hp single speed Pentair pump that is on its last leg. 12 years old. I figured I would replace with a variable speed pump but don't know anything about them. I don't have any automation and is just run off a timer to run 10 hrs a day. I installed a circupool RJ-60 last year and was wondering if there was any advantage with going with one of their pumps or something else. Any help would be appreciated. It's for a 22000 gal in ground pool in NJ

In your situation, no real advantage. Depending on what Pentair pump you have now you might not have to do any or minimal plumbing if you go with a Pentair VS. Will you do this DIY? If so, warranty pops up as Pentair only gives a 60 day warranty to DIY install. Circupool and Inyopools both give 18 month or more warranties for DIY install. Depending on your wet end, you may be able to install a VS motor.

Thanks, I figured it wouldn't make a difference.This will be a DIY.

Are the different brands all good as far as reliability?

I'm not going through the trouble of just replacing the motor because of the age. For me it would be just as easy to replace the whole thing

Pentair has the best reputation for longevity. But really have not heard any real issues other than some Hayward models have VS drive electronics issues.

As a DIY - I would recommend a Pentair Superflo VS (if you do not care about a warranty) or one of the VS pumps from Inyo or Circupool. Do not go below a 1.65hp. I assume the Aquabot is a true robot. Has its own pump/filter.

If you go Pentair and want full rating larger than what you have, then the Intelliflo VS (011028) is the gold standard.

In your situation, no real advantage. Depending on what Pentair pump you have now you might not have to do any or minimal plumbing if you go with a Pentair VS. Will you do this DIY? If so, warranty pops up as Pentair only gives a 60 day warranty to DIY install. Circupool and Inyopools both give 18 month or more warranties for DIY install. Depending on your wet end, you may be able to install a VS motor.
INYO offers 2 year DIY warranty on their Waterway PD140 variable. Any idea whether that's a quality unit?

Any idea whether that's a quality unit?
Typical second tier pump system. From China. Can work great, can have issues. That is what the warranty is for. Your environmental conditions are pretty benign so that is good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.