Help with installing new heater and salt water chlorine generator.

Major_in_MS

Gold Supporter
Jul 9, 2016
Florence, MS
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pureline Crystal Pure 60,000
Hello all,

I have decided to add a Raypak 406k NG heater and a PureLine salt system to my pool. This will require me to rearrange my equipment pad, so while I'm waiting on my new products to arrive I wanted to see if anybody has any advice on setting things up.

Currently I have a 1.65hp variable speed pump that I bought new last August pushing my water through a Jandy top mount sand filter. After leaving the sand filter the line splits into two pipes. The main pipe it to the two returns in my pool. The smaller pipe goes to an auxiliary pump that used to run a Polaris pool cleaner. Since I am now using a robotic cleaner this is a good time to remove the auxiliary pump.

So here is my first question. Can I use the power line going to the auxiliary pump to power the new salt system? I'm thinking yes, but since I don't have the salt system in hand yet I'm not sure.

Second question is, what is the order I need to set up my equipment in? I'm thinking Pump > Sand Filter > Heater > SWG > Pool.

Also, I know that I need to add salt to my water and bring my CYA level up for the salt generator. Is there anything else that I need to do or be aware of when adding these two upgrades to my pool?

Thanks everybody for the help.

Major

The answer to both questions is YES.
Most SWG systems can be setup 220 or 110v. Since you are using a VS pump, I assume it’s controled by its own internal timer. You will need to have the SWG on a timer that is set to run during a time, when you know the pump will be on, and set to a speed sufficient to activate the SWG flow switch. Since the booster pump should already have a timer, that makes it easy.

And yes, the SWG should be last, before water is returned to the pool. You are exactly correct. Sounds like you have this well thought out. Make sure in your plumbing layout you provide sufficient straight pipe for the flow switch. The specs will be in the installation manual. Good luck with the project.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.