Help with Equipment Needed

KP99

Jun 20, 2020
New England
I'm new here, I've been a lurker and reading a lot, but we're finally at the stage of building. We decided to move forward with a 16x40 FG pool (8'6 depth). We can purchase the pool equipment through our PB or directly with a supplier. They estimated costs and necessary equipment; however I'm concerned about some of the sizes they provided. Below is their list and the estimated costs. They are newer to the install business, that's why I'm questioning a few things. Any feedback on the below is much appreciated.

Recommended 1 skimmer with 8" lid (my concern is for a 16x40 shouldn't we need at least 2 skimmers + lids)?
They do not recommend a main drain with this FG pool
1.5hp variable speed pump ~$1000. We definitely want the VS pump, does this size seem appopriate?
150 sq. ft. cartridge filter ~$1000 (based on posts on TFP, seems like we'd need at least 240sq ft cartridge, is 150 enough)?
Salt water chlorinator 25,000 gallon rated ~$1000 (the pool is estimated at 23,900 gallons, based on this shouldn't we have a SWC that is rated double so ~48,000ish?

300,000 BTU gas heater ~$3700 - I looked online and found a Hayward gas heater for $2700 at 400,000 BTUs. Thinking our pool size would require at least 400K especially since we're in New England.

They also provided some costs for lights, and misc plumbing, but the higher priced items are above. We will provide the crushed stone for install/backfill in addition to water, and subbing out electrical and gas hookup.

Would appreciate anyone weighing in on my above concerns, and if there are key things I didn't include in the above that are needed. Thank you!

• Recommended 1 skimmer with 8" lid (my concern is for a 16x40 shouldn't we need at least 2 skimmers + lids)? Yes, get 2 skimmers so that if one clogs or fails your pump does not run dry and your pool can operate.
  • They do not recommend a main drain with this FG pool - That is fine
  • 1.5hp variable speed pump ~$1000. We definitely want the VS pump, does this size seem appopriate? Yes
  • 150 sq. ft. cartridge filter ~$1000 (based on posts on TFP, seems like we'd need at least 240sq ft cartridge, is 150 enough)? The bigger the better with a cartridge filter. You can't have it too big. Get a 400 or 500sq ft filter if the budget allows. You will only need to clean it once a season.
  • Salt water chlorinator 25,000 gallon rated ~$1000 (the pool is estimated at 23,900 gallons, based on this shouldn't we have a SWC that is rated double so ~48,000ish? Your choice is a 40K SWG which will work ok or a 60K SWG which will give you more capacity. Only Pentair or Circupool have 60K SWGs.
  • 300,000 BTU gas heater ~$3700 - I looked online and found a Hayward gas heater for $2700 at 400,000 BTUs. Thinking our pool size would require at least 400K especially since we're in New England. Yes, get a 400K heater.

Reactions: KP99
Their equipment prices are high (as expected from a PB), it could be that installation is included? I would definately get a 320+ sq ft 4 cartridge filter, check out the pentair clean and clear plus units.. I would get the 3HP VS pump from pentair, its like $175 - $200 bucks more than what they are selling you, check out the Pentair 011028 VS pump... a 1.5HP pool pump for a pool that size just doesnt cut it.. The saltwater chlorinator should be double the pool size..

Reactions: KP99
  • Recommended 1 skimmer with 8" lid (my concern is for a 16x40 shouldn't we need at least 2 skimmers + lids)? Yes, get 2 skimmers so that if one clogs or fails your pump does not run dry and your pool can operate.
  • They do not recommend a main drain with this FG pool - That is fine
  • 1.5hp variable speed pump ~$1000. We definitely want the VS pump, does this size seem appopriate? Yes
  • 150 sq. ft. cartridge filter ~$1000 (based on posts on TFP, seems like we'd need at least 240sq ft cartridge, is 150 enough)? The bigger the better with a cartridge filter. You can't have it too big. Get a 400 or 500sq ft filter if the budget allows. You will only need to clean it once a season.
  • Salt water chlorinator 25,000 gallon rated ~$1000 (the pool is estimated at 23,900 gallons, based on this shouldn't we have a SWC that is rated double so ~48,000ish? Your choice is a 40K SWG which will work ok or a 60K SWG which will give you more capacity. Only Pentair or Circupool have 60K SWGs.
  • 300,000 BTU gas heater ~$3700 - I looked online and found a Hayward gas heater for $2700 at 400,000 BTUs. Thinking our pool size would require at least 400K especially since we're in New England. Yes, get a 400K heater.

Thank you so much for the links as well as responses, at least I know I'm not crazy and glad I questioned the equipment.

Their equipment prices are high (as expected from a PB), it could be that installation is included? I would definately get a 320+ sq ft 4 cartridge filter, check out the pentair clean and clear plus units.. I would get the 3HP VS pump from pentair, its like $175 - $200 bucks more than what they are selling you, check out the Pentair 011028 VS pump... a 1.5HP pool pump for a pool that size just doesnt cut it.. The saltwater chlorinator should be double the pool size..
Thank you, I'm going to buy the equipment directly and will upgrade what they recommended. Appreciate your response and help :)

When you figure out what specific models you plan to buy post the list here with model numbers and we will make another pass through it before you buy.

When you figure out what specific models you plan to buy post the list here with model numbers and we will make another pass through it before you buy.

Ok I think I have the equipment broken down. We don't have to buy these through the PB so curious as to what your take is on Pentair vs Hayward? Do you think what we have is good enough, should we upgrade anything? Also looking at buying through Leslies or Donehys, any opinions on which is better? Donehys seems cheaper but no brick and mortar around us, where Leslies has a store one town over. I know it was mentioned to increase cartridge filter size to as much as you can afford, and go double the pool size for the chlorinator. But then I saw it's not always wise to go "big" for the pump, so wondering if the sizes I have listed are sufficient for a 16x40 ~24K gallon FG pool.

Thanks for any help on this!

Pentair
ItemBrand/ModelLesliesDonehys
Filter (cartridge)Pentair 160301 - Clean & Clear Plus - 420 sq. ft$1,250.00
Filter (cartridge)Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter, 520 sq ft$1,270.00
PumpPentair SuperFlo VS - Energy Efficient Variable Speed Pool Pump (good for pools requiring up to 1.5hp)$970.00$790.00
Salt Water ChlorinatorPentair IntelliChlor Chlorine Generator, Complete System 40,000 gal /MPN 520556$1,219.00$1,149.00
Heater (Natural Gas)Pentair Master Temp Pool Heater Natural Gas, 400,000 BTU / MPN 460736$3,640.00$2,930.00

Hayward
ItemBrand/ModelLesliesDonehys
Filter (cartridge)Hayward SwimClear 425 sq. ft. Cartridge Pool Filter$1,430.00
Filter (cartridge)Hayward W3C3030 SwimClear Cartridge 325 sq. ft. Pool Filter$1,280.00
PumpHayward TriStar VS Pump, 1.85 HP$1,079.00
Salt Water ChlorinatorHayward W3SWP15 - Swimpure and T-Cell 15 Swimpure Controller & T-CELL 15 (40K Gal)$1,249.00
Heater (Natural Gas)Hayward W3H400FDN Universal H-Series Natural Gas 400K BTU Pool and Spa Heater$3,299.00$2,699.00

Both Pentair and Hayward produce solid equipment, but people here seem to lean towards Pentair. I can't see what state you're in, but check your local power company for rebates. Also look into the warranties that each company offers - for example if you get product bundles you can get a 3 year extended warranty with a professional installer.

Both Pentair and Hayward produce solid equipment, but people here seem to lean towards Pentair. I can't see what state you're in, but check your local power company for rebates. Also look into the warranties that each company offers - for example if you get product bundles you can get a 3 year extended warranty with a professional installer.

Thanks for the tips - I live in MA so I'll have to check with Eversource on the rebates. Any feedback on the pump size, for the pool size (16x40 24K gallons), do you think that pump is sufficient?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You do better on everything from Polytec Pools...

I would get the Intelliflo VSF pump over the Superflo pump. Then the pump will connect to automation should you ever decide to add it.

@guinness beat me to mentioning the Pentair warranty bundle. Make sure you meet the warranty requirements with all the equipment on a single invoice.

I will point out that you can get the Pentair IntelliCenter bundled with the IC40 for $1,220 more then the IC40 system alone. I think that is a great deal for getting full automation on your pool.

Polytec is a reliable vendor. A bunch of us have bought IntelliCenter bundles from them.

I like Pentair stuff better then Hayward.

You do better on everything from Polytec Pools...

I would get the Intelliflo VSF pump over the Superflo pump. Then the pump will connect to automation should you ever decide to add it.

@guinness beat me to mentioning the Pentair warranty bundle. Make sure you meet the warranty requirements with all the equipment on a single invoice.

I will point out that you can get the Pentair IntelliCenter bundled with the IC40 for $1,220 more then the IC40 system alone. I think that is a great deal for getting full automation on your pool.

Polytec is a reliable vendor. A bunch of us have bought IntelliCenter bundles from them.

I like Pentair stuff better then Hayward.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll start researching Polytec now!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.