Help with deciding on salt cell and pump

poolrhea

May 24, 2022
East Tennessee
Hey there, first post and unfortunately I am suddenly in need to make some decisions.

I have just recently purchased a home with a pool that had been closed for 5 years. I have hired a "pool guy" to get it going again but after a few days of research on this forum I am questioning some of his decisions.

The pool is roughly 20 years old, 35,000 gallons, vinyl lined, Hayward S244T sand filter, Century Centurion B228SE 1HP single speed pump, Century Centurion B668 Booster Pump, using "standard" chlorinating method.

I want to convert to salt water and also update the pump to variable speed. My pool guy wants to install a Hayward Aqua Rite 40000 gallon salt system and he says the existing pump will work fine.

Again my research here makes me believe the 40000 gallon system is to small so I will have to replace the cell more frequently and if any issues arise that might require a boost in chlorine the cell may not be capable of producing it by itself. Is that a wrong conclusion?

The pump while it may work, I would think a VS pump would be the smarter choice.

Here is what I was planning on having him install instead but I am a little leery of the Circupool brand only because I am a complete rookie to pools and I don't see there name pop up a lot. If you guys could share any thoughts that would be greatly appreciated.
Circupool RJ-60 salt system
Circupool Smartflo 3.0 VS pump

The cost of both would be roughly the same as just the Hayward salt system he quoted me.

With this configuration would I still need the booster pump.

I have to make a decision this weekend and I am reading this forum as fast as I can but any help or advice would be appreciated.
20220608_170448.jpg20220522_113608.jpg

Welcome to the forum!
Without any automation, the general view here is that Circupool SWCG work fine. There have been issues, but that is true with all equipment. The pump is a rebadged pump than is sold under many names. Some have purchased it through Circupool. Have not heard of any issues. It is not a top line pump, but will do you fine for a number of years. You likely will rarely change the speed and it can run at a fairly low rpm.
The booster pump is likely for a pressure side vacuum system. You can refurbish that if you like. Or get a robot such as those from Maytronics.
I suggest you read through Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool

P,

We always recommend a salt system that is rated for at least 2 x the volume of your pool.

In your case the biggest they make is a 60K system. This limits you to either Pentair IC60 or a CircuPool 60K unit.

Since you do not have an automation system, I would recommend the CircuPool units.

See this link.. Compare and Review Saltwater Chlorine Generator Prices and Features | DSP

In my mind it does not make a lot of sense to have a SWCG system without a VS pump. The one downside to having a SWCG is that you have to run your pump longer to generate the chlorine your pool will need.

The good news is that with a VS pump, you can run a long time at a low RPM for next to nothing. I have a 3 HP IntelliFlo pump that I run 24/7, mostly at 1200 RPM, and doing that costs me less than $20 bucks a month. My pump is almost 10 years old and the newer are even more efficient.

I would for sure go with a VS pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Welcome to TFP!

Again my research here makes me believe the 40000 gallon system is to small so I will have to replace the cell more frequently and if any issues arise that might require a boost in chlorine the cell may not be capable of producing it by itself. Is that a wrong conclusion?
You are correct. TFP recommends a SWG rated at twice your pool's volume. For residential applications, the 60K systems are as high as they come. The RJ-60 is a good unit and manufacturer claimed production rate is among the highest (in lbs. per day of chlorine gas).

The Circupool Smartflo 3.0 VS pump is the same pump sold by other retailers under different brands. Prices and warranties vary by retailer. Here is the lowest priced version of the pump. As of a couple weeks ago, it was on backorder. A few members have installed this pump with positive results. Search TFP for more info:

The other popular version of this pump is sold as a Black and Decker.

Your booster pump is a Pentair LA01N. If you decide to rebuild it, you have to get a motor specifically for that model. Generally, there are so many other issues with a booster pump repair that it is better to get new. A Pentair BoostRite or Polaris PB4SQ are very energy efficient and quiet.
Your pump is a Hayward SuperPump.
Century is a motor manufacturer, but that is an easy mistake that is made all the time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.