Help! We had high winds and a power outage last night. Pump is out.

plays10s

Mar 2, 2022
Carrollton, GA
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We had high winds in our area and the power went out early this morning. Pump is supposed to come on at 9:00 a.m. When I went out there, the spa jets are on (which they never are unless we are in the hot tub). The bubblers are not on, the waterfall is not on, and the Pentair Panel is not illuminated. It's dark. What steps do I need to take now? Do I turn all the breakers off and then turn them back on? Are they supposed to have a surge protection on anything? Should I put one; how? Also, for the future, if we hear there is a storm coming, should I turn all my breakers off? What is the proper way to do this? I was also thinking about a winter storm - if it gets below freezing and the power goes out, what do people do so things don't freeze and get costly?

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your help!
LaDonna

You can try cycling the breakers to see if that resets everything. But with a VS pump, you should always have surge protection to protect the drive. They are very vulnerable to power surges.

Also, I would not rely upon "freeze protection" to protect the plumbing. As you have seen first hand, it is not always reliable. If the forecast calls for freezing temps for more than 8 hours, I would drain the pad equipment (i.e. open filter air purge valve and pump lid).

Also check the low voltage breakers at the upper right in the photo below.

5a3b4468c99991363eb576e20ba18f41.jpg

Last edited:
You can try cycling the breakers to see if that resets everything. But with a VS pump, you should always have surge protection to protect the drive. They are very vulnerable to power surges.

Also, I would not rely upon "freeze protection" to protect the plumbing. As you have seen first hand, it is not always reliable. If the forecast calls for freezing temps for more than 8 hours, I would drain the pad equipment (i.e. open filter air purge valve and pump lid).

Thank you. We are back running now with just a flip of the breakers; however, I called the pool service guy this morning who works for the pool company who just put in our pool. He said no one has surge protectors on their pumps and he didn't know if it were available. How would I get this done? Plumber? Electrician? Anything you can tell me about this would help. I'll have to call the pool company to teach me how to do the draining. Thanks, LaDonna

Thank you. We are back running now with just a flip of the breakers; however, I called the pool service guy this morning who works for the pool company who just put in our pool. He said no one has surge protectors on their pumps and he didn't know if it were available. How would I get this done? Plumber? Electrician? Anything you can tell me about this would help. I'll have to call the pool company to teach me how to do the draining. Thanks, LaDonna
Sounds like you might need a new pool service person. Pretty much everyone on this forum that has a VS pump has a surge protector. Whole house surge protectors can easily be found at any home store.

Reactions: borjis
Surge protectors are relatively inexpensive. The Intermatic PS3000, designed for pool applications, is available through Home Depot and Amazon for about $85.00 and easily installed to your Pentair panel.
If you can't drain your pool equipment, just keep it running all night, easiest way to prevent freeze damage without relying on freeze protection in your automation. I've been doing that for 30+ years with no damage. We do get Winter temperatures in the very-low 30s here, sometimes even lower. Tomorrow and Friday the lows are expected to be 29 and 28.

Sounds like you might need a new pool service person. Pretty much everyone on this forum that has a VS pump has a surge protector. Whole house surge protectors can easily be found at any home store.
But, where would I plug it into? There's nothing to plug into. All wires (cables) go directly into the pump and other equipment. Thanks for your help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Into the EasyTouch panel at the bottom of the breaker bus bar, see details below.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.