Help re-plumb pool after Texas storm

Gs2040215

Jul 12, 2020
Duncanville, TX
Well after having no power for 3 days straight and not prepering our pool here is the damage. I have a cracked filter housing and a cracked 3 way jandy valve. Going to use the opportunity to completely re-plumb the system. We have an old gas heater that no longer operates that I will be removing and throwing away (but would like to leave space to later install one). I think I decided on the pool filter I will be replacing the old fns plus with (pentair quad de 80). Any tips or advice on simplifying the system? I read somewhere to replace the 3 way jandy valves on the suction side with 2 ways for better control.

Attachments

• 92EE21AC-68FB-4108-9A09-7C67F855993D.jpeg
    92EE21AC-68FB-4108-9A09-7C67F855993D.jpeg
    600.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 50C29F88-FE39-4D91-AD30-CC259EB69105.png
    50C29F88-FE39-4D91-AD30-CC259EB69105.png
    427.8 KB · Views: 76
  • FCFF7727-0FD8-4E6B-8B36-E0239A2F3248.jpeg
    FCFF7727-0FD8-4E6B-8B36-E0239A2F3248.jpeg
    329 KB · Views: 76
  • 3862D48A-629E-4C79-8AA9-690A9DFAE23D.jpeg
    3862D48A-629E-4C79-8AA9-690A9DFAE23D.jpeg
    523.2 KB · Views: 72
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Shame about the equipment. This was a rough week. For teh plumbing, maybe draw a sketch on paper and post it here as well. You can use 2 or 3 way valves as needed as long as you can accommodate your needs. Either should be fine. For the future heater, consider not only the space required, but also a heater bypass loop in case you need to keep water moving without going through the heater. Unlike your original install, consider using unions at important connections to make maintenance or replacement easier. Lastly, you might consider replacing the inline chlorinator with a salt water generator and get away from those tabs/pucks that are acidic and increase the CYA too quickly. Don't forget to update your signature. We'll be watching for updates and questions. Have a nice weekend.

Gs,

You could not pay me to go back to a DE filter.. Here is my story..

I had only used DE filters when we installed a pool at my house. I really, really wanted another DE filter, but the city requires a line to the sewer, and that would have been almost impossible, so I had to "settle" for a large cartridge filter. At that point I was very disappointed.. :(

Now that I have used the cartridge filter for over 6 years, I can't believe that I was that stupid. My cartridge filter works just as well as any DE filter, but it is dirt simple. No DE to screw with, no multiport valve to leak or get stuck. No reason to backwash, so no need for a line to the sewer.

I could go all year without cleaning the cartridges, but I clean them once in the Fall and once again in the Spring.

The bigger the filter the slower you can run the pump and still move a lot of water. My filter pressure is about 1 to 2 lbs. most of the time.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I agree on cartridge filters. I bought a huge one and my pressure stays around 4 pds. Would go lower but the water fall gets weak.
Could probably clean twice a year but I do it more often just to see how they look

+1000. I can't imagine too many people with experience with both (I have also used both) that would choose the misery of DE/Sand over the shear simplicity and low maintenance of cartridges. You probably won't realize what a fool you've been until you switch. Why they even sell DE/Sand anymore is a mystery to me. Pointless waste of time, unnecessary complexity and not to mention built-in planned-obsolescence WHEN (not if) your multiport valve and grids fails. The pool industry is slloooowwwww to change!

Filters are pretty much interchangeable. Any brand, in reality, will do. If you are purchasing a number of pieces of equipment and having it professionally installed, then Pentair is a good choice as you get a longer warranty. If DIY, then Pentair and Hayward give you a short warranty for any immediate issues.

Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filters from Pentair are a good choice.

Reactions: Global Charming
Get the largest cartridge filter that fits your equipment pad and budget.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.