Help question with green pool and new filter.

Jul 30, 2018
Conroe
Hello. I just purchased a home that will be an office I am keeping the pool. It was very green and had algae but was only about 2 months and since it was blue the 1st time I saw it.

It needed a new filter. I had a jandy dev 60 filter installed, and they added de. Turned it on etc.

I checked the chemical levels and tried a product called green to clean, shocked it with chlorine, followed instructions etc. Kept filter on and left. About 19-21 hours later I returned to a still green pool. Maybe slightly better. So it didnt work yet.

I backwashed ther filter, and forgot to add de. Did this backwashing multiple times over 3 days. The filter would filter quickly for about 5 minutes then very slowly and the water flow would be minimized. I backflow for 3 min, added the De etc. Now it's still doing the same thing.

I'm assuming I need to take it apart and clean it? Every how often should you have to back wash it? Any other advice? Should I just drain/clean and replace water? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

Test Strips simply do not provide the accuracy and consistency you need. Because of this we do not make chemical recommendations based on them.

Order a TF100 test kit
The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

I also have the SpeedStir. It makes testing much easier.

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

We don’t base our recommendations on guessstrips. They are often very inaccurate. Please get a good test kit. Either the TF-100 Test Kit or the Taylor K-2006C. See Pool School - Test Kits Compared

You will find it frustrating solving your water chemistry issues without a proper test kit.

Hello. I purchased a Taylor kit.

Results. Need to do more test tonight.

Ph 7.4
Cya is 4
Ta test alk is 120
Free chlorine 7.5ppm
7.0ish Ppm

I also cleaned the pool, scrubbed walls floor etc. I had one of my friends help me take the jandy filter apart clean and put back together. Now its filtering. What should I do next?

I tried to attach pics of current test but I'm over quota. I appreciate all the help!

4 is not a valid number for the CYA test. Check how you did it. Did you mean 40?

What is your PH?

You should note the clean filter pressure and backwash and recharge with new DE when the filter pressure rises by 25%.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you have a green pool you now can do the SLAM Process process which will kill the algae with chlorine. Your PH is good and you follow the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] chart for your CYA level of 40 and maintain a FC shock level of 16.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.