Help pool frustrating

Aug 14, 2017
Millsboro/DE
I have been trying for a month to fix the chemicals in the pool with a green pool. After two trips to dover pools I'm getting mad because I have followed their tips. Here is where I am now. Saturday night we floc the pool as instructed ran for 2 hours and turned salt system off. All chemicals were normal. After vaccuming from floc to backwash we had to add water. Chemicals needed new balancing started from the top as dover pools said checking calcium hardness, then alkaline, both good numbers went to ph followed the dosing they told us to add 19 oz adding 9 ounces at a time was coming up and then we went to chlorine and added 2 bags of shock and now that's good but the ph has dropped. Pool has started to turn greenish but still can see the bottom. Cya is now low. Please any advice.109190

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190701-174353_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190701-174353_Gallery.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 122
I have been trying for a month to fix the chemicals in the pool with a green pool. After two trips to dover pools I'm getting mad because I have followed their tips. Here is where I am now. Saturday night we floc the pool as instructed ran for 2 hours and turned salt system off. All chemicals were normal. After vaccuming from floc to backwash we had to add water. Chemicals needed new balancing started from the top as dover pools said checking calcium hardness, then alkaline, both good numbers went to ph followed the dosing they told us to add 19 oz adding 9 ounces at a time was coming up and then we went to chlorine and added 2 bags of shock and now that's good but the ph has dropped. Pool has started to turn greenish but still can see the bottom. Cya is now low. Please any advice.View attachment 109190
screenshot_20190701-174353_gallery-jpg.109191

Ok, stop going to the pool store. They either don't know what they're talking about, or they're just out to make a sale. Either way, you're better off without them.

You're not too green, really. I would suggest doing these things-
1) go to www.tftestkits.net and order the TF-100 test kit. Yeah, its $70, but it will save you a fortune in not buying useless chemicals for the pool. It will also give you *accurate* test results, and should last you about 2 years.
2) Pour in one gallon of plain, unscented, unthickened, non-Clorox brand plain bleach in the pool daily and brush. If you cant find plain bleach go to Walmart and get the 10% liquid chlorine from the pool section and use it.
3) Do this daily until you get your own test kit the tell us:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Monitor your filter pressure and backwash when it rises 25% over clean pressure.

Vinyl lined pools don't *need* calcium.... so don't bother putting any in. You may need CYA but until we have an accurate test from your own kit we don't want to risk over doing it. So hold off.

Can you do this?

Start reading- ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
SLAM Process

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: LFrankow and Tena
I’m sitting on my deck with a nice Romeo Y Julieta and a nice Cali Cab looking at my crystal clear pool. The cigars and wine a little nicer because I save so much money on my pool because of tfp. It may seem overwhelming at first, but it is simple in the end. It has worked for us. Yippee skippy, Kimkats and the rest, they knows things...

Saturday night we floc the pool as instructed ran for 2 hours and turn After vaccuming from floc to backwash we had to add water. ....
then we went to chlorine and added 2 bags of shock and now that's good but the ph has dropped. Pool has started to turn greenish but still can see the bottom. Cya is now low. Please any advice.

Hi, you vacuumed to backwash or to waste?
If to backwash, some gunk may stay in the filter. Should vacuum to waste, then backwash. (I used to love floc in my aboveground pool. TPF is against it.)

So, you will lose a bit more water, but I say backwash again and make sure it's coming out clear.

Adding pool store shock in my experience clouds the water and makes it appear more green, filtering will clear it up overnight if there are no other issues.

Ph will rise if you aerate the water...splash, point return jets to the surface etc.

CYA...afaik, you need to add sparingly. Too much can be bad, but just right is great to maintain Chlorine.

I'm still waiting on my test kit, but I've been reading the TPF ways and have learned a lot.

Good luck!

Unfortunately, as long as you keep going to the pool store, your water will most likely never clear. You are receiving marginal advice from them. We see it all the time. For example, floc won't clear your water from algae, and based on the cloudiness I suspect that's what you have. Calcium (CH) is not required for vinyl, so why did they have you add any? Those are just two quick examples.

You need a good test kit so that you can test your own water (easy) and adjust accordingly using proper chemicals and nothing more. We recommend the TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C. See Test Kits Compared, Then review our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and all of those Vital Links below in my signature. Once you receive your test kit, post a full set of water results and we'll coach you through the process to make that water crystal. But we need those at-home accurate results. Don't forget to update your signature and include which type of filter you have. It will be important later.

Reactions: Leinbach

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.