Help on where to start after end of last pool season

Aug 14, 2018
Delaware
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Last year we had a big issue with algae build up and I found this site and was able to get it under control to have nice clear water again towards the end of pool season. The big issue was the CYA getting way out of control due to what I believe was the use of trichlor tablets. So at the end of last season the CYA was around 106ppm. It started at ~137ppm. We didn't want to drain as the season was coming to an end and would just pick up in the spring on what needs to be done so we would just backwashed and added more water and it started come down while keeping the FC high to combat that issue. So this year is where I am not sure where I need to start. We currently do not have the pool open yet so I do not have a water test of the CYA currently. However, if the CYA is still high my plan is to drain out what appears to be 70-75% of the water and add new. Here's where I am lost. Once drained where should I start as far as what to have in check first.. should the pH be correct first, then FC, then CYA.. and then what should be second, third, etc.

Thanks

I assume you do not have your own proper test kit?
Order a TF-100
The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want.
I also have the Speedstir. It makes testing much easier.

I in fact bought the Taylor kit last year. I forget the exact model but I had the CYA powder in it. Ah here it is..I bought this:

TAYLOR TECHNOLOGIES INC K-2006 TEST KIT COMP CHLORINE FAS-DPD

Check the dates on your reagents in the kit. They expire and have to be replaced. Make sure you aren't using expired reagents. If they are expired, you'll need to purchase new ones.

I planned on it when that time comes. We are still about 2-3 weeks out from starting to open. I was trying to figure out the steps I should take and the proper order I should be doing then in. Just trying to get some planning done so I am ready to go in a few weeks. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.