jenck

May 28, 2021
Southwestern Ontario
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
2nd year to start up pool, but this is quite different than last year. In winter, we had a storm and broken the safety cover, we did managed to put it back but now when we open the pool, lots mud in the bottom and the water is very low, maybe due to a dry spring. even last winter the water was low when the cover is broken.
We are lost now. should we fill the pool with water first then waste to dirt? or to clean the dirt first but without the water level cannot vacuum to waste. Will fill the water drive all the dirt up and make it really had to clean the water after fill the water?
What is the correct step since the water is so low. we have a robot but I feel this is too dirty for robot to work on it. please help, thanks a lot.

IMG_20230621_175947.jpg

I would fill it, aiming the hose in a way that disturbed it the least.

Then I'd slowly vac some to waste, stop and refill disturbing as little as possible, and repeat until the bottom gunk was gone. Fill it to the top of the liner for more time with the vac.

Once its gone, test for ammonia. Add 10 ppm FC and retest in 30 mins. If you have most of it left, move on to SLAM Process. if you lost most of the FC, repeat the 30 min test and add to 10FC until it holds. Then SLAM

For SLAM you need a CYA of 30 and a 7.2 PH. Pass the ammonia test before messing with these.

thanks.what does this means? "Fill it to the top of the liner for more time with the vac"
since my pump is not hook up yet, to make it work will disturb some area for sure. but l guess that's is necessary.
the last two years we always had to add many conditioners to bring up CYA to 30. it normally will be close to 0 at the beginning.

Fill it to the top of the liner for more time with the vac"
When you vac to waste, you quickly lose suction from the water level getting too low. So if you overfill the pool (compared to normal), you'll be able to vac longer each time.
the last two years we always had to add many conditioners to bring up CYA to 30. it normally will be close to 0 at the beginning
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's 0 too. There's probably no ammonia present, but if there is, any CYA you add will quickly become more ammonia. It will also need a bunch more chlorine to get rid of.

Testing for it is free, and takes 30 mins so it's a no brainer. If the test passes, the FC you added for the test is a head start for the SLAM.

When you vac to waste, you quickly lose suction from the water level getting too low. So if you overfill the pool (compared to normal), you'll be able to vac longer each time.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's 0 too. There's probably no ammonia present, but if there is, any CYA you add will quickly become more ammonia. It will also need a bunch more chlorine to get rid of.

Testing for it is free, and takes 30 mins so it's a no brainer. If the test passes, the FC you added for the test is a head start for the SLAM.
l see what you mean now. thanks a lot. Yes, will definitely test for ammonia first.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.