Not exactly closing the pool but starting over in colder weather and going on vacation

debbritt

Jun 30, 2023
Charleston SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
This summer was our first season with an AG pool, and it turned out the foundation was not level, but we kept it up for use over the summer and just kept the water level lower than it could have been. Over the past few weeks, we drained it, hired someone to level everything, and then we put the pool back up. We're in Charleston SC, so since we rarely get any freezing temps here, and after reading many threads on the subject, we've decided to just keep the same pump schedule we've had success with all through the summer season and not close it up. We've refilled the pool since the leveling, got the salt level to 3000, CYA is currently at 60, and as of this morning the SWG has chlorine showing at the top range of 5-10 (we have not added any bleach ... only used the SWG to get to this level).

Now the question: We are leaving to go on a 10-day trip and do not have anyone who can watch over things while we're gone. We're planning on NOT running the pump at all during that time and will cover the pool with a fine mesh leaf cover to keep out all the long pine needles, leaves, and other tree debris from getting into the water. The pool water temp is running about 62-64 degrees at the moment here. Weather looks to be predicted in the low to mid 70s during the days and in the 50s overnight while we're gone. Is there anything else we should absolutely do before we leave?

CYA is currently at 60, and as of this morning the SWG has chlorine showing at the top range of 5-10 (we have not added any bleach ... only used the SWG to get to this level).
Is there anything else we should absolutely do before we leave?
Since you will not be getting freezing temps, have a cover for the leaves, the only thing I would do is raise your chlorine to 15-20 with bleach to make sure your chlorine is above the minimum level (5) when you return.

Since you will not be getting freezing temps, have a cover for the leaves, the only thing I would do is raise your chlorine to 15-20 with bleach to make sure your chlorine is above the minimum level (5) when you return.

Thank you! So if ... "One gallon of 10% liquid chlorine added to 10000 gallons of water will raise the FC by 10 ppm" ... I should add 1/2 gallon to my 5145 gallon pool to get it to 20, correct?

Thank you! So if ... "One gallon of 10% liquid chlorine added to 10000 gallons of water will raise the FC by 10 ppm" ... I should add 1/2 gallon to my 5145 gallon pool to get it to 20, correct?
You got it. If you use the Pool Math app, you can use the "effects of adding" feature.

For a 5,100 gallon pool, .5 gallons of 10% chlorine add 9.8 FC to be exact. I would add that and enjoy your vacation!

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.