Help!! No Flow Light-

hbw2000

Jun 2, 2022
Eastern NC
I will try to explain in detail-
My equipment - Hayward Varible Speed Pump and a Aqua-Rite Salt water Generator.

my pump is programmed to run 24 hours a day. The lowest speed in that 24 hour period is 2300. Today, I came home and checked the salt level on the aqua rite- I found it with the NO FLOW on and the generating light off. I cut the box and pump off. Started it back up - Same result. So, I pressed the quick clean button (which brings the pump to fuill speed 3420) Once it was a full speed the low flow light flashed and went off- The generating light came on. All was well-

We were out of town for 3 days. I left the pool clean and came back to green pool. The box once again shows no flow- I pressed the quick clean and the light went off.

I went to my pool installer and had the water tested and got all the chemicals to get everything back in shape. They seem to think everything is fine-- They mentioned the board or Flow Sensor..... They are slammed and I really need some advice,

What do I need to do? The pool is 3 years old. The salt cell has never been cleaned. I backwash often..... The pool is back cloudy.....but the water is flowing properly. Help!!

Hey!!! Welcome to TFP!

My guess is that the flow switch has/is failing. Maybe a simple replacement gets you back up and running.

Do you have and use pool math? PoolMath While you are figuring out how to get the SWCG running again, you can use Pool Math to figure out how much liquid chlorine to keep the algae at bay.

Do you have a test kit?

Reactions: Mdragger88
I will look at PoolMath- I do not have a test kit. Do you think removing the Salt cell and rinsing out would help flow? I have already ordered the SWCG....
I would get a good test kit...there are options: Test Kits Compared

So it's not about actual flow through the cell. There should be a flow switch in your plumbing. Go to page 10 here:

That is the flow switch that indicates to the panel that you have low flow. The first thing to do is add liquid chlorine to keep algae at bay. The second thing to do is replace that flow switch. Can you post a picture of your pad/equipment?

What model filter do you have?

I think you have algae clogging your filter and slowing the water flow giving you the LOW FLOW problem.

The fix is to clean your filter and once you get a test kit follow the SLAM Process to clear the algae.

Until you do the SLAM Process your filter will be clogging and causing flow problems.

• Love
Reactions: PoolStored
What model filter do you have?

I think you have algae clogging your filter and slowing the water flow giving you the LOW FLOW problem.

The fix is to clean your filter and once you get a test kit follow the SLAM Process to clear the algae.

Until you do the SLAM Process your filter will be clogging and causing flow problems.
OUTSTANDING CATCH!!! Twice in a week I feel like a newbie.

Flow switches either work or they don't.

If increasing the RPMs gets the flow switch to work then it is good.

The problem is a flow problem and not with the flow switch.

• Love
Reactions: PoolStored

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Really appreciate the suggestions and help. I not ashamed to say -- I had no idea of what we were getting into with an inground salt pool- We never had anything but kiddy pools from Walmart...so I am a complete novice on any of this-
I relied on my pool installer 100%..... The only thing I was shown was how to backwash. There was never instruction on how long or how many times a week, month or season.
I am first going to backwash again-- and then rinse--- I never rinsed after and the pool was installed 3 years ago- So I bet this is where my flow problem is stemming from. I looked at the pressure valve this morning- Never have before and it is completely messed up--- Trash is in the bottom of it and it appears to be half full of water? Oil? -- The valve was completely hidden between 2 pipes.... so I never even noticed it. So I am going to look for one on Amazon..... Anything I missed? Please share your expertise. Again, This is the best forum I have ever been in-- Helpful, kind and not judgmental of my ignorance

So backwashing get all the stuff out of the filter. Rinse settles the sand back into the filter.

Not sure what you mean by pressure valve and half full of water. Do you mean pressure gauge? Some have fluid that buffer the movement of the gauge. Can you post a pic?

Best advice. Backwash, if you have a sight glass (little glass bubble, you can see the water backwashing) then backwash until it run fairly clear. Then rinse, same thing until the sight glass is clear. Then note your pressure when you return to normal. When the filter pressure rises 25% over a clean filter, backwash again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.