Help! My hot tub is pouring water through an unknown broken part!

Aug 7, 2016
Pennsylvania
I got a used hot tub delivered about six weeks ago that was working fine before, but getting it up and running has been a nightmare with one problem after another. It keeps freezing in this crazy weather and damaging more stuff before I can get everything fixed! They really need to build these things with redundant heating systems.

At the moment I'm losing several inches per hour through this broken piece, and I can't figure out what it is or how it works! it looks a little bit like the twisty things you used to adjust the air in the water but it was buried in foam. All these little pieces fell out. I ripped out more foam to see where the hoses go and one of them goes to a jet a few feet away and the other one I can't tell.

What is the piece called, how does it work, how can I plug lines temporarily until I can get a replacement?

Attachments

• PXL_20230101_204534282.jpg
    PXL_20230101_204534282.jpg
    463.6 KB · Views: 35
  • PXL_20230101_204546901.jpg
    PXL_20230101_204546901.jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 35
  • PXL_20230101_204802109.jpg
    PXL_20230101_204802109.jpg
    528.2 KB · Views: 34
Fly,

I agree and there is no reason that it would be buried in the foam. Someone is pulling a fast one..

I too think it is an air valve of some type, but air valves should not have water in them.

Air valves supply air to ventures and are usually mounted up above the water line.

As a test run the tub with that unknown valve up at the deck level and see if it still leaks water.

Let's also see what @RDspaguy has to say about it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The tub is from 2013 and this part appears or be original and unmodified. Its a very complicated system with 2 pumps, 2 waterfalls, and 72 jets.
Maybe they use this valve to prevent the waterfall or some of the other jets from being aerated too much?

Fly,

I guess my point was that if that is an air valve, water should not be in it.

Either water is in it, because of its location, or you have some other issue allowing water to get in there. Maybe a stopped-up jet??? :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I agree with Jim. That's not generally buried in the spa walls.

It appears it's a diverter for a single feature like a waterfall or neck jet. But the point of a diverter is to turn something on and off and unless you're Casper, I don't know how you'd do that.

I would expect you could simply bypass it. I can't tell the diameter of your lines but you may find success with pex couplings and hose/gear clamps.

Your used hot tub looks like it was improperly repaired which may be why you are having so may problems.

The foam isulation looks like it came from a can and is not what the manufacture applied. Inadequate insulation could be part of the reason for your freezing problems.

@RDspaguy can comment on how it looks to him.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That looks like a flow valve, as used for waterfalls and fountains, and has been installed to regulate flow on a specific line, possibly an ozone return or such. I'd have used a ball valve myself, but it could be a matter of using what you have on hand. Installed low like that it would be very prone to freeze damage, which would bust the cap out just like that. You can bypass it and see if everything still works right, but I'm betting it's there for a reason. I doubt they ran out of couplings so used a waterfall valve instead.

@RDspaguy , I was definitely thinking the same thing as far as speculating "why" it was done. But it's just such a failure prone part to be buried in the cabinet. o_O makes me crazy.

@flyoffacliff What if you used a ball valve instead of a coupling like the one here: https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-2-Pack-Polymer-1-2-in-PEX-Barb-Ball-Valve/1000183195

That way you can test RDs theory and have it open or closed or in between all in one repair.
Keep in mind, it will still be prone to freezing in that location, especially if it has low or no flow on that line.

Fly,

I agree and there is no reason that it would be buried in the foam. Someone is pulling a fast one..

I too think it is an air valve of some type, but air valves should not have water in them.

Air valves supply air to ventures and are usually mounted up above the water line.

As a test run the tub with that unknown valve up at the deck level and see if it still leaks water.

Let's also see what @RDspaguy has to say about it.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I would think it was never installed above the waterline and was manufactured that way, the nut on the back tight to the top and there is unbroken spatter from the spray insulation on the threads.

Weird.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.