Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
Long overdue.. getting it re plastered as we speak ( demo today). I’m familiar with the basics, have the pool math app setup and a TF 100 test kit on the way.

Once we get it filled I will be doing the startup, I know I need to get my CYA, PH and chlorine up to specs along with the other basic tests.

What I need to know are what other “special” chemicals should I be adding? Like metal removers etc

Also I’ve been told because of my overhead power lines and transformer that I should add a sacrificial anode, should I get zinc or magnesium?
thanks

Usually the plaster company will give you a startup guide that must be followed for warranty purposes. I would ask them first.

If they do not have one, then here is a pretty good one that walks you through the steps for the first 30 days. After those 30 days you would want to switch over to TFP guidelines for your chemicals.

Reactions: MA5177
Usually the plaster company will give you a startup guide that must be followed for warranty purposes. I would ask them first.

If they do not have one, then here is a pretty good one that walks you through the steps for the first 30 days. After those 30 days you would want to switch over to TFP guidelines for your chemicals.

Thanks

Pool filling time? Your pool will be empty, and that doesn't happen very often. You can use this opportunity to fine-tune the water volume number you use to calculate chemical dosing. The water meter trick. Check out posts #123-134 in this thread, for the trick, and some other pool-filling tips:

Pool filling time? Your pool will be empty, and that doesn't happen very often. You can use this opportunity to fine-tune the water volume number you use to calculate chemical dosing. The water meter trick. Check out posts #123-134 in this thread, for the trick, and some other pool-filling tips:

Oh great idea!

The NPC guide is fine. Follow it for the first 30 days then transition to TFP methods.

Just started up my freshly plastered pool 1 week ago and have to go away for a few days. I’ve been having to add chlorine and acid DAILY to keep levels in range.

Is it ok to use tablets for a few days while out of town? What exactly are in the tabs that are so bad besides CYA?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Use Effects of Adding Chemical in Poolmath to see what tablets will add to your pool.
Looks like 1 lb will raise by about 5 which is fine as I may be going SWG and need to raise it anyways. Thanks

Attachments

• 9D503558-F2E9-4D80-8152-961D9978B236.png
    9D503558-F2E9-4D80-8152-961D9978B236.png
    400.8 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: mknauss
The plaster companies guidelines for startup say “between days 4-28 do not exceed 200ppm of calcium”.

My CH is about 325 right now because my fill water is like 200 is this an issue?

Not much you can do when the fill water is that hard. I imagine to compensate they would agree that keeping your pH and TA carefully managed during the cure time should help to compensate. For example, using the PoolMath APP I know that if the water temp is about 82, the CH is 325, CYA 30, and salt zero, a TA of 70 and a pH of about 7.6 keeps the CSI barely above zero (0.03) which is a good place for plaster cure. Even a TA of 80 and pH of 7.7 give you a CSI of 0.19 which isn't bad right now. So basically as long as you don't let the pH get away from you, it should be okay. But I would speak to them about this to be safe since they need to honor your plaster warranty.

Not much you can do when the fill water is that hard. I imagine to compensate they would agree that keeping your pH and TA carefully managed during the cure time should help to compensate. For example, using the PoolMath APP I know that if the water temp is about 82, the CH is 325, CYA 30, and salt zero, a TA of 70 and a pH of about 7.6 keeps the CSI barely above zero (0.03) which is a good place for plaster cure. Even a TA of 80 and pH of 7.7 give you a CSI of 0.19 which isn't bad right now. So basically as long as you don't let the pH get away from you, it should be okay. But I would speak to them about this to be safe since they need to honor your plaster warranty.
Thanks, everyone here was saying to just monitor my CSI and I am good on that. But I was about to add some calcium to get to 400 until I re read their guidelines.

I guess there isn’t much I can do about it other than just keep a close eye on PH, TA

Does CYA stay forever or does it wear down over time? They say it’s like “sunblock” for your chlorine so wasn’t sure

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.