SoCal *Splash* Pool

You'll be filling your pool soon enough. Did I give you, or have you read elsewhere about, the water meter trick for determining your pool's water volume? A number that you'll need to properly care for your water...

Reactions: Girija
Nice 😎! You have a great view too 😍. You have to water it for 20 days 😱? We were told 5. I know what you mean about it being hot and dry. After we watered it just now it was dry in parts almost immediately. Crazy how you started yours so long before us and we're now at the same stage.

You'll be filling your pool soon enough. Did I give you, or have you read elsewhere about, the water meter trick for determining your pool's water volume? A number that you'll need to properly care for your water...
Our son and his wife were here this afternoon and we were talking about filling it. I mentioned how we'll need to take a picture of the water meter and then use as little water as possible in the house. My husband said, where did you hear that? Where do you think honey? He's got to quit questioning me 😂.

• Haha
Reactions: Girija and Dirk
then use as little water as possible in the house. My husband said, where did you hear that?
You can also estimate about 80gals per person in household to account for bath/shower, toilet, DW, washer, etc. So just deduct that from your net difference in meter readings.

Reactions: Girija and Nikilyn
SWEET!!!! It is time for your set of links! The first set is all about what to do and ask about to get a great plaster job. The second set is all about how to care for your pool after you get the plaster.

Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

Kim:kim:

Nice 😎! You have a great view too 😍. You have to water it for 20 days 😱? We were told 5. I know what you mean about it being hot and dry. After we watered it just now it was dry in parts almost immediately. Crazy how you started yours so long before us and we're now at the same stage.
Ha! Crazy is one word for it! And I'm betting you're going to be done before me too!
I read that your should keep the concrete as moist as possible for the first 28 days (the first 7 being the most important) -- I don't remember if the pool company even told me how long to water it -- but they said 2 times a day, which is definitely not enough in this dry heat!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nikilyn

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, I did read that, but will need a refresher before the time comes!
Yah, the most important part of the tip is to let the PB, or the onsite project manager know what you want to do. Then remind them again on plaster day (or acid wash day, the day after plaster day, if that is their MO ). Typically, the minute they're finished they'll start the fill, whether you're aware or not. And if they're acid washing, they'll likely be using your hose and water, so you want to take the meter reading right after they're done, but right before they start the fill. We're talkin' minutes. So you have to stay on top of it.

Reactions: Girija and Nikilyn
Yah, the most important part of the tip is to let the PB, or the onsite project manager know what you want to do. Then remind them again on plaster day (or acid wash day, the day after plaster day, if that is their MO ). Typically, the minute they're finished they'll start the fill, whether you're aware or not. And if they're acid washing, they'll likely be using your hose and water, so you want to take the meter reading right after they're done, but right before they start the fill. We're talkin' minutes. So you have to stay on top of it.
I'm saving this in my email so I don't forget! Thank you. So, basically, we are just noting the meter reading immediately before and after fill, and adjust for any water usage, correct? (I can't find the original instructions.)

Reactions: kimkats
I didn't think I'd be in the pool in January! :ROFLMAO: I went in a week ago to fish out the pool plans the PB left under a towel on our patio table. 💨🌪 That water was cold! The PB said the white stuff is "alkaline and calcium from the shotcrete . . . we want that, the plaster will adhere better" I don't know about that. Sounds fishy to me. 🐡🐡🐡IMG_9361.jpgIMG_9365.jpg

I'm saving this in my email so I don't forget! Thank you. So, basically, we are just noting the meter reading immediately before and after fill, and adjust for any water usage, correct? (I can't find the original instructions.)
Yep. Use your phone to take a pic of the meter, makes it easy to keep track. Find the meter now so you know where it is, and clean it if need be. They can be muddied up.

You can simplify the math if you limit use, not just account for it. Turn off your irrigation system. Minimize flushes and showers. Hold off on laundry and the dishwasher. Etc.

Typically the optimum water level is halfway up the skimmer opening. That can be hard to determine when there is water in the opening (due to reflection and refraction), and even harder at night, in case that just happens to be when the pool reaches full. So mark the halfway point with a piece of duct tape so that you can easily see when the water gets there.

Once the fill starts, don't stop it for any reason until it's full. Any delay can leave a water ring stain on your new finish where you pause.

You might zip-tie a sock on the end of the hose to keep the metal end from bouncing around on the finish. Be sure the hose end stays under water, and get it underwater asap. Don't let any water run down the sides, that too can leave a stain.

Don't walk on the new finish. Don't heat the water for a month. Don't add salt for a month. Discuss your startup plan with the PB and make sure everybody's roles are clear. Even if he takes responsibility for the startup, have your TFP-recommened test kit ready and test the water every day to make sure the chemistry meets the startup plan specs. No one will care about this important period as much as you will. The better your startup, the longer your finish will last, and the better it will look.

Buy your test kit now if you don't already have it. Test your fill water. Those are good numbers to know and have, and will give you a little practice. Don't test your fill water for CYA, there won't be any.

Good luck!

• Love
You changed your avatar tile pic. Does that mean you aren’t getting the glass tile anymore?

That’s correct! No more glass tile. There were soooo many reasons why I nixed it. The glass tile I fell in love with had detailed installation instructions (including “Do NOT use EPOXY thinset or grout”) which I didn’t trust my PB's tiler would comply with. Also, the random block tile had no backing, so there was the possibility of picking a thinset color that would have adversely changed the overall color AND I’m sure I would have ended up with some crooked tiles, which would have made me crazy. I was willing to risk all of that until two other things happened. One, the 6x6 porcelain tile we had selected for our waterline changed their dye lot and it looked terrible. Secondly, I took everything Suzy (SuzfromTexas) said to heart about her glass tile “if she had to do it again” and the two places she would not install glass (spillway and vertical water feature) were where we were installing glass! I found the new (avatar) tile and absolutely love it. It looks dramatic, beautiful, yet natural in our yard and really goes better with the age and style of our home. To me, it looks timeless. I also found some installations on the internet and loved the finished look. If you squint, you can see the tile through the chair.

Attachments

• verona-borba-turquoise-2.jpg
    verona-borba-turquoise-2.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Tile in yard.jpg
    Tile in yard.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 52
Have you gotten this spiel yet? You want to rifle through all the boxes of tile when they arrive. Remove any clinkers. The tile crew won't notice things that might bug you, and even if they did they might not care.

And then either lay out the tile just the way you want it installed, so that there emerges no unsightly patterns or clumps of colors, or be onsite during installation so you can direct the placement of the tile to your liking (I did both). There was a time when tile setters took this kind of care for you, they were artists who prided themselves on all the tiny details that make the difference between a wall covered with tile and something beautiful to look at. Those guys don't exist any more.

Keep an eye on things yourself, and you'll have no surprises. You might get some eye rolls from the crew or a manager that don't like to be micro managed. So what. They won't give a second thought to the quality of their work (or lack thereof) 5 minutes down the road after they're done. You'll have to live with what they leave you forever. Partner up with them and make the end result great. Shove a bunch of snacks and drinks down their throats, they'll get onboard...

There was a time when tile setters took this kind of care for you, they were artists who prided themselves on all the tiny details that make the difference between a wall covered with tile and something beautiful to look at. Those guys don't exist any more.

This made me sad to read because I know it is true! At least where PB tilers are concerned. I definitely plan to go through the boxes when they arrive and will do a rough layout. Thanks Dirk!

Reactions: Dirk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.