Help me identify my pool filter, does it need replacement?

r0dr160

Jul 20, 2022
Palm Springs
I recently bought a house with a pool and spa and I'm a first time pool and spa owner. I've been reading some of the pool school articles and some of the posts in the forums. We are currently using the same pool service that the previous owners had, but I want to eventually take care of the pool myself. I've already gotten the TF test kit and I plan to start testing the water soon. The previous owners didn't use the pool much and didn't do a lot of maintenance beyond having the pool service clean debris, add chlorine twice a week, and clean the filter cartridges every 3 months.

I'm also trying to figure out the equipment that I have. I normally look up model numbers online but the sun has removed most of the labels and I don't know what had been replaced for what and when. I managed to identify the pump as a 1.5 HP WhisperFlo WFE-6, although it seems that the motor was changed at some point for a 1.5 HP Century B2849. What I can't really figure out is the filter, all that I know is that is a cartridge filter. Any help on figuring out what capacity of the filter is would be greatly appreciated (See attached photos)

Additionally, the guy from the pool service said that the filter needs to be replaced soon. He particularly pointed to a couple of exterior cracks that are starting to appear and that you can see in the photo right above the thorn down label and to the fact that the seal seems to have some small leaks. Is this something that needs immediate attention? Can a simple repair be enough? Or should I go with replacing the whole filter?

Also, if I decide to go with replacing the filter is there anything that I should keep in mind? Could spending some money now in a particular kind of filter later limit other kind of upgrades, changes or new equipment we can get?

Attachments

• PXL_20220728_173229655.jpg
    PXL_20220728_173229655.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20220728_173204382.jpg
    PXL_20220728_173204382.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20220728_173211324.jpg
    PXL_20220728_173211324.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20220728_173137104.jpg
    PXL_20220728_173137104.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20220728_173146577.jpg
    PXL_20220728_173146577.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 15
It looks like you have a Pentair Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter. I would say it is the smaller model because the top of the unit is shorter than the bottom of the unit. You cannot purchase just the top or bottom half, so if there are cracks then it is best to replace the whole filter. Pentair is a good brand.

It is always best to get the largest filter your budget allows within reason. It would be better to know more about your pool such as size .and volume. It is an inground plaster pool or is it vinyl or fiberglass? Maybe post a picture of the complete pool and also a photo of the complete equipment pad.

Welcome to the forum.
You can measure the cartridges and correlate to what model you have. I suspect it is a 320.

Measure the overall height of the filter from the ground to the top of the filter. That will help guide which model.
Model Number & Filter Area
CCP240 is 240 sq ft and about 37 inches high.
CCP320 is 320 sq ft and about 43 inches high
CCP420
CCP520

You cannot purchase just the top or bottom half, so if there are cracks then it is best to replace the whole filter.
You can get them, but they are a bit pricey.

Bottom: Pentair 178578

Top: Pentair 170024 (for the 320)

You can get them, but they are a bit pricey.

Bottom: Pentair 178578

Top: Pentair 170024 (for the 320)
Thanks for info. You Are right about being pricey but at least they are available.

It looks like you have a Pentair Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter. I would say it is the smaller model because the top of the unit is shorter than the bottom of the unit. You cannot purchase just the top or bottom half, so if there are cracks then it is best to replace the whole filter. Pentair is a good brand.

It is always best to get the largest filter your budget allows within reason. It would be better to know more about your pool such as size .and volume. It is an inground plaster pool or is it vinyl or fiberglass? Maybe post a picture of the complete pool and also a photo of the complete equipment pad.
Thanks for your help. I measured the filter from the ground to the top and it's 37 inches high, based on your other post it should be a 240 sq ft filter.

I also took some measurements and I estimated the pool to be about 11.6K gal plus a 1.1K gal spa that cascades into the pool. It is a inground plaster pool

I'm adding a photo of the pool and of the complete equipment pad. The heater is not working at the moment, but right now it's so hot in the desert that we have not needed it. We'll need to figure out what's wrong with it once the weather cools off.

Attachments

• PXL_20220729_020748476.jpg
    PXL_20220729_020748476.jpg
    516.5 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20220729_020803292.jpg
    PXL_20220729_020803292.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 9
For long term benefits - a larger, cartridge filter would serve you best. The 420 or 520 are the larger 2 models. The benefit of a larger filter is that having more square footage of grids allows you to extend the time between cleaning the filter.
The guideline is that you should clean your filter when the pressure on the gauge raises 20-25% above the baseline clean filter pressure.
For example, if you have a clean filter and the pressure reads 15psi - then if it increases to 18psi or higher then you should clean your filter.

Additionally your have a single speed pump, so it only runs at 1 speed (about 3450rpm). So if this pump ever burns out, you could lower your daily operating cost by purchasing a variable speed (VS) pump. Pentair makes some excellent IntelliFlo pumps. Obviously this is another budget item but wanted to get you thinking about how to make improvements over time. A VS pump allows the system to run at lower speeds (ex. 1500 rpm) to circulate and skim your pool. The efficiency is much better for example running at 1500 rpm may use 150 watts whereas running at 3450 rpm may use over 2100 watts. Also, some electric companies provide rebates on a purchase of a VS pump because they know it will reduce power needs and try to provide an incentive to its customers who have single speed pumps.

Third item is your heater. Yep, another budget item to repair or replace. Some members are real knowledgable as to how to troubleshoot and repair them. They will need the make and model number and whether it is gas, propane or electric. Just start another posting with a question on the heater and why you think it is not functioning, any error codes or notations on the display, etc.

Fourth item is I do not see how you are chlorinating your pool. Do you have a pool service that tests the water and adds chemicals?

The main focus of this forum is to help people take care of their own pools. So if you would like that, then you could take over testing and adding the neccessary chemicals to have a clean and crystal clear pool. While pool techs are helpful if you have a busy schedule, it is a operating cost that could be reduced and managing your own pool have shown to help you lower your operating costs.

Regardless, there is always someone on the forum that has some specific knowledge that may help with any issue you may have.
Good Luck.

For long term benefits - a larger, cartridge filter would serve you best. The 420 or 520 are the larger 2 models. The benefit of a larger filter is that having more square footage of grids allows you to extend the time between cleaning the filter.
The guideline is that you should clean your filter when the pressure on the gauge raises 20-25% above the baseline clean filter pressure.
For example, if you have a clean filter and the pressure reads 15psi - then if it increases to 18psi or higher then you should clean your filter.

Additionally your have a single speed pump, so it only runs at 1 speed (about 3450rpm). So if this pump ever burns out, you could lower your daily operating cost by purchasing a variable speed (VS) pump. Pentair makes some excellent IntelliFlo pumps. Obviously this is another budget item but wanted to get you thinking about how to make improvements over time. A VS pump allows the system to run at lower speeds (ex. 1500 rpm) to circulate and skim your pool. The efficiency is much better for example running at 1500 rpm may use 150 watts whereas running at 3450 rpm may use over 2100 watts. Also, some electric companies provide rebates on a purchase of a VS pump because they know it will reduce power needs and try to provide an incentive to its customers who have single speed pumps.

Third item is your heater. Yep, another budget item to repair or replace. Some members are real knowledgable as to how to troubleshoot and repair them. They will need the make and model number and whether it is gas, propane or electric. Just start another posting with a question on the heater and why you think it is not functioning, any error codes or notations on the display, etc.

Fourth item is I do not see how you are chlorinating your pool. Do you have a pool service that tests the water and adds chemicals?

The main focus of this forum is to help people take care of their own pools. So if you would like that, then you could take over testing and adding the neccessary chemicals to have a clean and crystal clear pool. While pool techs are helpful if you have a busy schedule, it is a operating cost that could be reduced and managing your own pool have shown to help you lower your operating costs.

Regardless, there is always someone on the forum that has some specific knowledge that may help with any issue you may have.
Good Luck.
Thanks for the very detailed response.

Right now we are using the same service that the previous owners had. They come twice a week, remove debris from the pool and add chemicals. I'm not sure if they're testing or not. They're only here for a short period of time, most times we don't even see them but we notice that the pool has been cleaned. They've been doing a good job keeping the water clear, but we want to start doing the testing and chemicals ourselves. I've already got the TF test kits.

I'll be sure to post about the heater and get some guidance on that.

Reactions: HermanTX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.