Help me choose!

otter1

Apr 2, 2020
Redding, CA
We’ve wanted a swg for a while. Our pool is somewhere between 25k - 27k (freeform) Quotes came in as follows:

(1) Pentair IChlor30 salt cell with power center: $1700

(2) Pentair Intellichlor40 salt cell w/ Pentair Intellichlor power center: $2578

(3) Pentair Intellichlor60 salt cell w/ Pentair Intellichlor power center: $3006

No other pool builder/maintenance company has gotten back to me. They only sent (2) and (3) when I asked for it because I was concerned a 30 SWG was too small for a 27k pool (I don’t run the pump constantly).

Help me choose? We’d really love to have consistent chlorine. Any thoughts welcome. Thanks!

Without a doubt - go with the IC60. Much better for the longer term, especially if you do not want to run your pump 24/7.
Remember that a SWCG is to maintain your FC level with some minor up or down adjustments depending on pool usage. Use LC to get to the target level initially.

Thank you! We have a cartridge filter system and the pool store is telling me the swg will be really hard on it. Any truth to this?
This is why we encourage people NOT to go to a pool store. A SWCG produces chlorine and it is downstream of the filter and goes into the pool. A inline chlorinator produces chlorine (if you put pucks in it) and it is also downstream of the filter going to the pool. Pouring liquid chlorine into the pool mixes very quickly. So Chlorine water is Chlorine water. Your pool store rep does not know what he is stating.

O,

We always recommend a salt system that is rated for at least 2 x the volume of your pool.. a 20K pool needs a 40K cell.. A 30K pool needs a 60K cell..

Cells are rated when running at 100% 24/7..

You pool store is like most pool stores.. They want you to depend on them instead of yourself.. This way they can sell you stuff you don't need.

I am a highly biased Pentair kind of guy.. But even I would not recommend a Pentair salt cell unless you have a Pentair automation system.. If I did not have a Pentair automation system, I would go with a CircuPool SWCG...

An IC60 plus power center is about $1,400.. This means they are charging you $1,600 to install it.. Way too much in my mind.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Why? I don't see the relationship between the SWG and the automation system.

D,

Because all of the electronics is inside the cell.. This makes the likelihood of a cell failure higher, even when the plates are still good. Also increases the cell's cost. The IntelliChlor was designed to run with an EasyTouch or other Pentair Automation. The EasyTouch provides you with some info such as reported salt levels, both low salt and very low salt indications, while the same low salt light is on in both cases on the cell itself. But the main difference is that most other brands of SWCGs have a whole host of diagnostics tests that you can run from the control panel that can help you troubleshoot a SWCG problem, the IntelliChlor has very limited self test capabilities.

If I was gong to install a standalone SWCG system, I would go with CircuPool or Hayward T-15 before I would go with the IntelliChlor.. That does not mean that the IntelliChlor will not work without automation, it just means that it would not be what I believe is the best option.

Thanks,

Jim R.

D,

Because all of the electronics is inside the cell.. This makes the likelihood of a cell failure higher, even when the plates are still good. Also increases the cell's cost. The IntelliChlor was designed to run with an EasyTouch or other Pentair Automation. The EasyTouch provides you with some info such as reported salt levels, both low salt and very low salt indications, while the same low salt light is on in both cases on the cell itself. But the main difference is that most other brands of SWCGs have a whole host of diagnostics tests that you can run from the control panel that can help you troubleshoot a SWCG problem, the IntelliChlor has very limited self test capabilities.

If I was gong to install a standalone SWCG system, I would go with CircuPool or Hayward T-15 before I would go with the IntelliChlor.. That does not mean that the IntelliChlor will not work without automation, it just means that it would not be what I believe is the best option.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for the explanation.

I have a Jandy automation system (with a useless remote that never works well) that we may upgrade to allow for WiFi integration. How is the Jandy swg systems if I were to keep it all one brand? I’m going to reach back out to the non-pool store pool repair/install companies and see if I can get quotes. My inclination is to avoid the pool store if I can help it. I’ve never been impressed.

I have a Jandy automation system (with a useless remote that never works well) that we may upgrade to allow for WiFi integration. How is the Jandy swg systems if I were to keep it all one brand? I’m going to reach back out to the non-pool store pool repair/install companies and see if I can get quotes. My inclination is to avoid the pool store if I can help it. I’ve never been impressed.
You may want to start your own thread on your enquiry. I am considering same as you. My research shows that the preferred Jandy SWCG is the AquaPure PLC1400 which is good to 40,000 gals. So therefore would be suitable for a pool at 20,000 gals or less using the 2x recommendation. There is another model PLC700 but only rated to 12,000 (or a 6,000 gal pool).
They also have a newer model called TruClear but rated to 35,000gals but I have not heard as good reviews for it vs. the AquaPure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You may want to start your own thread on your enquiry. I am considering same as you. My research shows that the preferred Jandy SWCG is the AquaPure PLC1400 which is good to 40,000 gals. So therefore would be suitable for a pool at 20,000 gals or less using the 2x recommendation. There is another model PLC700 but only rated to 12,000 (or a 6,000 gal pool).
They also have a newer model called TruClear but rated to 35,000gals but I have not heard as good reviews for it vs. the AquaPure.
This is my thread. :) Sounds like my pool being around 27,000 may be tricky. At least I may be able to get away from the pool store recommendations, finally got a call back from a local independent company. The pool store tried to argue water chemistry with me a while ago. I have a degree in biochemistry and worked in a large city water quality lab (mostly microbiology, but rotated through inorganic and organic chem as needed) I’m pretty sure I am qualified to understand simple dilutions! Haha. I’d be thrilled to not give the pool store my business.

Last edited:
Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.