Heater Install on exisiting pool

gdog2004

Jul 19, 2011
Lehigh Valley, PA
Hey guys:
I have a 16x32 inground pool that I love and want to add a heater to.
I have a propane tank not far from the pool pump and I have a house that gets blazing sun all of the time.
I also have reasonably priced electricity.
I live in PA and currently use my pool from mid May to maybe mid September. I would like to extend that to
maybe Mid April to mid October. What do you think may be the best options for me ?
I know there is Solar, Gas and heat pumps. I would not need it heated all the time, just on occasion.
Did I drop the ball by not getting it at time of install ?

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

How many gallons? Typical installations are 400k btu.. Also, how close is the propane tank and what is its size? When I lived in Maryland, we installed a 400k BTU natural gas heater on a 18k gallon pool.

Propane is the only choice of the options you listed to extend the season on both ends. However, it is the most expensive of all the fuels. You'll probably spend an additional $500/month on the shoulder (extended) months and $300 in-season using exclusively propane.

Propane is the only choice of the options you listed to extend the season on both ends. However, it is the most expensive of all the fuels. You'll probably spend an additional $500/month on the shoulder (extended) months and $300 in-season using exclusively propane.
Are you thinking I would need it every day to be like 80 degrees or something ? Just wondering.
I would probably just heat it up on weekends as it got colder. Why not solar by the way ?

Are you thinking I would need it every day to be like 80 degrees or something ? Just wondering.
I would probably just heat it up on weekends as it got colder. Why not solar by the way ?

Solar and heat pumps are great for in season heating but neither can supply enough heat in shoulder months to make a difference especially in your location. They won't produce as much as the daily heat losses, even with a solar heat (bubble) retention cover.

But, propane is on-demand so you'll get 1-2 degrees per hour when you need it.

A 400K gas heater will raise the water temperature 1.8 degrees/hour maximum.

A 140K Heat pump will raise your water temperature by 0.8-1.2 degrees an hour depending on air temperature. Maximum BTUS from a HP is at 80F air Temperature. The cooler it gets the less BTUs you get.

A heat pump is not good for on demand heating. You have to plan your swimming far in advance to get the pool heated.

Then you have the heat loss from evaporation especially when the water temperature is greater then the air temperature. A pool cover is required for serious heating to retain the heat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.