Heat stuck at 100 degrees : Balboa VS 4-button

Johnnybillz

Nov 29, 2020
North Shore Boston, MA
Hi,
I have a new Hudson Bay HB29 110V plug in spa. It comes with a 4 button panel that is annoyingly hard to use.

We had it up to 104 for a few weeks in October and in colder weather, but recently the spa reset (I kicked the plug out) and a day after the restart is now stuck at 100 degrees. The temp is set for 104 but it has been pegged at 100 for past 24 hrs. Weather is mild here this weekend (50s) but it's still not heating.

I have checked the modes: It's in St (standard) and F2 (2 hr filtration).

I am wondering if it's still running in Economy mode that is keeping it at 100? Did I not set the 104 temp right? When I press "Warm" it flashes 104 and then goes back to display 100 without blinking (current temp). Is there a special button press to get it to "Save" the mode to Standard? For example if I hit "Warm" then "Light" it displays "Ec", which I think means I changed it to Ec. So I cycle it back to "St" for standard but is there another button to "save" that setting? Is there some other setting that would stick it to 100?

Any other theories as to why it's stuck at 100 would be appreciated.

1606670625909.png
1606670647835.png

Here are my pin settings if this helps:
1606670679241.png

Also question about filtration cycle - does anyone know if F4 would heat the water faster or slower than F2? The support guy told me to use F4 but I'm wondering if a longer Filtration cycle is worse for heating. Does it heat during Filtration cycle?

Thanks!

[/URL]
At 120v, the heater is disabled if the pump is on high. Economy mode will only allow it to heat if the low speed pump is already running, such as during a filter cycle or when turned on manually. At 120v, it should heat around 2 degrees per hour. Turn off power, set dipswitch 2 on (up), then turn back on. This will set it to standard mode only. See if the problem continues.
Does it show any error codes on the display? Is the heat indicator light solid or flickering?
Do you have a multimeter?

[/URL]
At 120v, the heater is disabled if the pump is on high. Economy mode will only allow it to heat if the low speed pump is already running, such as during a filter cycle or when turned on manually. At 120v, it should heat around 2 degrees per hour. Turn off power, set dipswitch 2 on (up), then turn back on. This will set it to standard mode only. See if the problem continues.
Does it show any error codes on the display? Is the heat indicator light solid or flickering?
Do you have a multimeter?

Thank you! The link did not work above.

here's the update: Was out running errands all afternoon - came back home and the Spa is back up to 104. I think my wife somehow set it to Standard mode earlier today but I had it on Economy. Confusing how to "save" it to standard mode after you select Standard mode. Buttons seem to rotate selections but not save.

Anyway, no there were no errors. The heat light was flickering yesterday but is solid today: What does that mean?

I will try dipswitch trick for always standard mode. Good idea.

At 120V does heater run during filtration mode?

Thanks again,
John

Yes, it just can't run high speed pump and heater at the same time due to the 20 amp circuit.
The indicator light flickers when the thermostat calls for heat but the spa cannot heat, such as when the high speed pump is on or it is in economy mode and not a filter cycle or is in sleep mode. If it is solid then it is trying to heat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.