Walnutport, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
We just finished our new build and live in NE Pennsylvania. We did not get a heater, but wired and plumbed for one (electric heat pump) with a pad. I live for price checking things. PB told us a heater would be $4200. I'm assuming it's a Hayward (as that is what all our equip is). Any tips or places to price check for me to buy the unit directly? I'm guessing there isn't muuuuuch of a price difference for this type of thing, but had to ask because I'm cheap...uhhh I mean thrifty :LOL:

I used the calculator on Pentair's website and it came back with a recommendation of (2) units of the UltraTemp 120. TWO?! They are listed at $3500 each. This seems incorrect.

Also looking at the Raypak Classic 140k BTU for $2900....

Always leary of online sites. Any recs welcome!

Two years ago, I got my Raypak HP from poolheatpumps.com. They had the best price at the time for the model I wanted.

I spent a lot of time researching and looking before deciding on the Raypak. Then it was only a matter of finding the best price.

Reactions: l1ltaral1l
I have the mastertemp 120. Its been $3500 since i got mine 7 years ago. My PB charged me $6k which included the pre-cast pad/electric and plumbing. The way i see it he probably made 2K off me but 7 years ago we didnt have the online options that we do now. Info was 10% of what it is now and we only got free shipping at xmas. Shipping cost a fortune at the time. You did real good having the PB make it ready but not install the heater. Most of them would have added their normal profit margin to the heater. Instead you only paid for the parts and labor.

Best to also consider the warranty on the unit if purchased online. Some manufacturers cut the warranty period by half if you buy on line and especially if you do not get a licensed contractor to install it. Just something to look for.

Thanks! Excellent tip about the warranty.

We would have the electrician who did our pool install it. He is an independent electrician who just happens to work with our PB for the past 20+ years.

Just stumbled upon this thread and noticed you are from Walnutport, PA. I live in S. Whitehall (grew up in Whitehall). Our pool was built in 2016 and looking to get a heat pump this year and was wondering if you are still looking for one also? All my equipment that was installed is hayward so will probably stay with that brand. I was not thinking about a heater when we purchased the pool since our backyard receives sun from around 7am to ~5:30pm in the summertime but with the wacky weather we have and rain, the water stays too cool (under 80) and doesn't warm up until July when we receive the hot temps with humidity. So I would like to get more use out of the pool.

Like your pool, I went with gray steps but did not think about the return jets and skimmer which are white and wish the PB would have mentioned it when selecting the steps. Any luck finding gray replacements?

Update: haven't heard back from our PB on a formal quote for the heater. I sent a message to the electrician who wired our pool (he's independent but has worked with our PB 20+ years) to get a quote directly from him. I also submitted the online for on poolheatpumps.com for some options.

Side note, the FAQ section on their website is great! :LOL:

Reactions: Newdude
Just got a response back from poolheatpumps... thoughts from the experts? :D I did a search and it looks like good things about Gulfstream and their CS.

"Pool Size, 36 x 18, 20,000 gallons
Pool in the sun, cover used
For May through September
Desired water temp of 80 to 85

We recommend the following pool heat pumps:

Gulfstream (made in USA), model HE125RA,
BTU: 122,000
Electric: 220V, 50 amp breaker.
Sale Price of $3,095.00.
Use promo code GS200Y5KJ during check out.

https://www.poolheatpumps.com/pool-heat-pumps/gulfstream-he125ra-pool-heat-pump.html

Or

Aqua Cal (made in USA), model T135,
BTU: 132,000
Electric: 220V, 50 amp breaker
Sale Price of $3,435.00.
Use promo code PHP5TWR during check out.
AquaCal TropiCal 135 Pool Heat Pump | 133,000 BTU

Why these models?

Both firms specialize in making pool heat pumps

Gulfstream High efficiency rating of 6.1
Aqua Cal, good efficiency rating of 5.7

Excellent warranties:
Gulfstream, 2 years labor, 10 years parts, corrosion resistant titanium heat exchanger.
Aqua Cal, 2 years labor, 7 years parts, lifetime on the titanium heat exchanger.

If electrical is in place, your installation should be in the $400.00 to $500.00 range.

Compare with competitors:
Hayward: shortest warranty in the field, 1 year parts.
Rheem units made in Mexico.
Jandy units manufactured by Aqua Cal.
Pentair, low efficiency ratings.

Both pool heat pumps are 220V, and require a 50 amp breaker.

All prices include free shipping."

Last edited:
In PA you will have to run your heat pump a LOT to maintain the temperature... if it can even get it to where you want it other than the hot summer months. This means running your main pump at a min of 65%-75% to get the required flow for the heat pump.

When I was in MI, a heat pump just didn't cut it. If the heat pump can keep up, you need to keep it running regardless of whether you are swimming or not. From a normal temp, it takes a heat pump days to heat up a pool that size where you are (unless you are only using it in July and August).

I would only use a min 400K gas heater where you are. My heat pump in GA (124K) had trouble with an 18,000 gallon pool from October to March.

Here in FL, the heat pump works great... but we don't the cold nights and have a much shorter cold season.

If you are sold on a heat pump, I really like the new AquaCal 143K unit. The COP is 6.5, and it's 10db quieter than the Hayward. I have a Hayward now because that is what the PB installed.

That's just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tara, I get that people make their own decisions and of course I invite you to do so here as well. But please read the above post from @lrvalley 5 times so when you do choose, You know exactly what your expectations should be.

I know, I know. We do not have NG in our area, and my husband is soooo against a propane tank. I've come across solar recs, but we are not DIYers and the solar contractors seem scarce around these parts. But your point is most certainly valid, so maaaaaybe I can just get an estimate of cost for gas with the full install to see where we are at.

I wonder what the reasoning is for PB's to rec heat pumps over gas? Install maybe? Easier to run electric vs gas piping and tanks?

(Not questioning anyone here, just generally curious. All the PB's we received quotes from used heat pumps).

We didn’t know any better when we got ours and believed all the hype. Fact of the matter is, a heat pump shines at making a relatively warm pool warmer. We were never going to want to swim 24/7 and had I known better I would have just gotten tanks installed and worked filling them into the season budget. That way I could have just planned say, $1000 and it would be good for (also say) 10 swim days in the cool/cold. 5 early season and 5 late would have been perfect for us.

Maybe it meets your expectations, maybe it works ‘good enough’ VS your perceptions of how the alternative would have fit your needs/budget. But if you have all the info you will either make the better decision for you, or at least second guess it less.

* individual results may vary. Newdude is a registered trademark of NewdudeCorp. His expressed views may not be those of the parent corporation. Side effects may include nausea, vomiting or telling him to shut the *Floc* up.

• Haha
So. We are still throwing around propane vs electric. I went on the Pentair calculator and got these results. A little bias because they want to sell an electric heat pump?

Capture.JPG

The $$ for the gas heater look extremely high... is this cost for lp or propane? When I was in Michigan, my pool was open from April through September and the cost was never even close to that - my biggest natural gas bill was $250, and that included a gas furnace, gas stove, gas dryer, and gas water heater. My pool was fairly large - an L shape - 42' long, 18' across on deep end, 25' on shallow. 42,000 gallons.

If you are sold on going with a heat pump, you should look at units that offer low ambient units and go with 140K units instead of 120K. The cost for two 140K units can't be much more than the 120K units, and the additional heating capacity never hurts. (I haven't seen anything bigger than 144K or I would recommend that :))

Even having said this, I am still skeptical that the heat pump will work when you need it, and that it will be able to maintain the temps you want in your climate.

If go with heat pumps, I will be interested in hearing how they perform over the next year!

Propane. I wish we had NG! I thought the gas numbers seemed off as well, but I'm not familiar with propane.

We've been kicking around electric vs propane for a while now. My husband doesn't want a propane tank, but I feel like gas is the smarter choice for our region. But then I did this calculator and was :unsure:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.